TechSpot

Chkdisk error I think its related to video card

By fastzr
Mar 30, 2010
  1. My laptop stuffed up today, I think as a direct result of me updating my Intel integrated chipset express family 945g to 950GMA, the computer froze and turned off, after restarting serveral times and trying a few things I uninstalled my driver (as it said that there were no rollback points), I then restarded using VGA as my graphics. Then I downloaded and installed the old driver, it then restarded to apply the driver. When it was starting up it ran a chkdisk on my D drive, which it did. On completion it froze. I left it for two hours then restarted it ran chkdisk again on the same drive, this time i chose skip but again it froze. I've tried both methods several times..... PLZ HELP ME... oh and I cant work out how to get into my Bios, i have a toshiba portege m405.

2. fastzr

fastzr TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 17

Please if anybody knows how to fix this,please help me that laptop was reilly expensive

3. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,943   +353

Were you trying to fix a problem by installing new motherboard drivers? If so, what was it?

4. fastzr

My computer was stuck in low res and on 4 bit colour, if i tried to change it it just moved back to 4 bit and low res. I read in the internet that uninstalling and reinstalling drivers would fix this

5. mailpup

Make sure you are uninstalling the old graphics driver through Add and Remove Programs (XP) instead of through the Device Manager.

6. fastzr

I did it by right clicking desktop going to properties, then settings, advandced, manager, drivers, unistall driver.... But now I can't even start it anymore as it freezes at chkdisk which i can't skip as it then freezes aswell... so I'm bringing it to a shop tommorow

7. mailpup

Are you able to enter Safe Mode?

For the future, if you are going to install a new or different graphics driver do not uninstall by that method. It does not actually remove the driver from the system and installing a new one over the top of it may cause problems.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.