CHKDSK message: "inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 6724"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillBauer

I have read a few other threads dealing with a similar issue so I am aware this has been discussed before. However, I want to start a thread specific to my problem.

When I reboot my computer, I get a screen that tells me that it is recommended that I check my disk for errors. I have to press any key within 10 seconds, to cancel disk check. If I don't cancel this check, I see the error message:

"inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 6724" being printed on the screen thousands of time, for about 5 hours. This is followed with a message
"Insufficient disk space to correct errors in index $0 of file 6724". After that, Windows starts normally. I have Windows XP on my computer.

Recently, there was a trouble development. I can't cancel the disk check. When I try pressing keys on my keyboard during the 10 seconds that I have to cancel the disk check, nothing happens. It is as if my computer is not recognizing my keyboard. After the computer boots up, I can use my keyboard again.

May I please ask for your help?

Is it possible to do something to ensure that I don't see the message
"inserting an index entry into index $0 of file 6724" in the future?

If the above is not possible, is it at least possible to enable my keyboard when my computer is booting up, so that I can cancel the disk check?

Thank you!

I'd first suggest you try running dskchk /r from the recovery console. See this post [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post] for the "how to" do loading recovery console and running chkdsk.

If the problem persists, it's likely a sign of a hard disk that's failing and advise you back up all your files on it ASAP

You could also try a partition manager such as Easeus which might throw some light on the problem. Gparted is another one. For the latter you make a bootable CD from the download .iso file, so that after booting from it, it can do anything to your HDD.

Bear in mind both of these are very reliable and well-tested, but are freeeware. You use at your own risk. I am suggesting you try them, but don't permit them to make any changes at this point. Just see what they say and come back to us with that.

I also take note that other experience on the internet has been that chkdsk /f run in safe mode will **usually** cure the problem, albeit in many hours, depending upon how big your C: drive is. There is also a suspicion that the problem originates in a Windows update.

On the face of it, you could instead have a bad spot in the HDD NTFS index, which windows is unable to correct. Since it is in a crucial bit of the furniture, you may not be able to repair it. It does not necessarily mean your HDD is failing, but it would mean it is damaged. If you get no further with this, I would indeed replace the HDD. Many retail HDDs come with software to enable you to clone the existing drive onto the new one and carry on in15 minutes or so. There is also plenty of free cloning software available for download. Having said that, a failure in the index would not necessarily disappear, it might be cloned as well ! A reinstall of Windows is your worst expectation, so whatever you can do to back up the entire HDD is your first prioity, along with identifying all your software installs, passwords, settings etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back