clean re-install/no cd driver

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfm1200

trying to do a clean re-install of windows xp in my friends pc.
I have done it before on other machines and managed to get the cd drive working, but this time i can't.

on the initial boot the cd will start to spin then stop
thought i had copied all the cd drivers to the "c: drive" but the cd won't boot.
after startup i get the error, "device driver not found, MSCD001 no valid cd rom device drivers selected".

i also copied the drivers from the w98 boot disk, ie; aspi2dos.sys, and 3 others similar.

also in the bios the cd is referred to as "CD" and not as a letter.
so the boot sequence i have set to "cd rom-a:-c:".

i have some boot disks i copied from "bootdisk.com" but they don't boot. just give system error.

any help offered gratefully accepted.
i am not a dummy but please keep it simple.
cheers
mfm

the sysytem

abit be 6 mb
p3 550mhz
64ram
toshiba dvd
wd 13gb hdd.
i though it strange- he said he was running XP previously, thought his system may be a little underpowered.

Does the BIOS find your CD drive? Set all the IDE devices to Auto in BIOS setup and see if your CD-ROM is recognised at all.

yes the bios sees the cd drive but tells me there is no driver.
i think i'm going to use my pc to load the OS to the other hdd.
maybe a lot easier and solve my problem
thx
mfm

BIOS does not know anything about any drivers or drive letters. You are confusing things.

You do not need any drivers to boot from the Windows XP CD. If your CD does not boot then you have a problem with your CD-ROM drive, the CD or the BIOS settings.

If you want a DOS boot disk with CD drivers, go to www.bootdisk.com and download the Windows 98SE custom boot floppy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back