Click shutdown on start menu, delayed response

Status
Not open for further replies.

dust1984

As noted in the thread title - I am clicking on start>shutdown and about 2 minutes goes by and then the shutdown window appears. I'm not sure what is going on? Is it a service that's being bogged down? If so, why? I'm a IT Technician, just haven't seen this, the PC works very smooth, doesn't slow down at all until Shutdown is requested. I've seen a few seconds, ya things slow down but 2 minutes??

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Dust

Also, Hi there, and I just found this site, looks like all the great minds will be able to help a lot. Thank you.

This can be a particular program or service or even hardware that is slow to react to the Windows 'will you kindly shut down?' request. There is no foolproof way to discover what it may be that I am aware of - you probably have to live with it. Also there is plenty on this subject on the web e.g. http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php and http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/Troubleshooting-Windows-Shutdown.html

Personally, I always shut down via a desktop shortcut to "shutdown -s -t 0" (without the quotes of course).

Try a google for 'slow shutdown of windows' for much, much more....

I figured it might be one of those things where you just throw your hand up and say "it's Windows". I will pass this icon along, using it didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for the help and the sites to research. Oh yea, I seen alot of pages had info on the slow shutdown but I was more concerned with the part "clicking the shutdown button and to getting to the window" to shutdown, after that it shuts down quickly.... that was a major qwark

My Viewpoint

Mine takes some time too,so i presume it's saveing the work I have
done during that visit.Writeing new options etc.
I think it says something like that.

I've seen cases like this but normally for us that only happens if for some reason the person is using a roaming profile. In my case, there is nothing going on when I click shutdown, a few minutes after I click it you get the option to shutdown, reboot, logoff, standby. After that it'll go to saving setting and what not but that goes quickly. It's the small transition from the button to the window. Pretty odd and the person who uses the computer is pretty picky and may want a reimage... I'd rather not. Might just tell him to deal with it. First I'll have him try the shortcut that was passed along earlier. I don't know if clearing you cache and cleaning your temp dir might help in your case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back