Cloning HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

mileslong

Hi there, I'm a noob at this cloning hdd stuff as I usually do a complete refomat when changing hdd's. I need to know the exact sequence of operations in cloning a hdd. Is this order below correct. Please correct any errors I am showing.

1.) Use either Acronis or Norton Ghost to make a clone of my hdd including o/s, file folders, application, etc... and save it to old hdd which is still pc.

2.) Shut down pc and install new hdd and remove old hdd and format the new hdd with o/s.

3.) Shut down pc again and reinstall the old hdd as the slave and make sure the new hdd is set to master. Then transfer the "clone" from the old hdd to the new hdd using Acronis or Norton Ghost.

4.) Shut down pc again and either remove old hdd or leave it in for extra storage.

Is this correct or am I missing something? Please help me out, I need to know the correct method of doing this as soon as possible. Thank you so much.

That will work but you can also install the new drive as a slave drive, format it through Windows then just copy the entire boot drive to the slave drive, shut off the computer, change the jumpers and cables to make the new drive the boot drive and restart. The slave drive will now be the main hard drive and you can format the old drive or just leave it in case you need to boot off of it ever again.

You could also read the help files for Acronis(I think Ghost is the same)
These programs can CLONE disks either from their bootable disks or from the program within Windows.This process includes unformatted disks that can also be partitioned. This can save you a couple of steps.

fastco said:
That will work but you can also install the new drive as a slave drive, format it through Windows then just copy the entire boot drive to the slave drive, shut off the computer, change the jumpers and cables to make the new drive the boot drive and restart. The slave drive will now be the main hard drive and you can format the old drive or just leave it in case you need to boot off of it ever again.

Thanx for the info. If I was to use the method ou described, how do I format the new hdd which will be placed in as the "slave" drive through Windows??

Right click on it in your "my computer" and select format. Its as easy as that.

When you boot to the CD (Acroni/Ghost) the program should recognize th Unformatted HDD it will then offer you the options for formatting and partitioning.
It would be best for you to read though the proceedures, there are particulars that you should understand.However , I use it (Acronis) and it works quite intuitively.

EDIT, I miss read quote above ,However if you try the program my answer is valid.

I thought you had to make the drive bootable in MBR
as system drive
just copying files over does not work,plus some system files are in use when doing work IE :running the gui and stuff so they don't get copied
I would use seagate disc wizard free works great
it will make the disc /partition bootable
leave master as is add the new drive that will be master<--set to slave for now
follow seagate directions
remove drives swap jumpers replace drives your done 1 operation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back