Cloud

Its just web storage of your data. Several companies have their own versions. It is good for backing up important documents you can't afford to lose.... IF you trust the service provider.

Cloud:- is an implementation of SaaS, Software as a Service. The Office 365 product is an example. The user installs nothing (or at least something very small) and accesses the application "on the web'. As mentioned, there are several backup solutions, Dropbox and Google Drive are other tools. Commerically, the AWS by Amazon is a structure to allow companies to dynamically configure (more hosts, storage) on demand.

There are issues for security and privacy that plague SaaS and there is still working being done in this area.

Cloud:- is an implementation of SaaS, Software as a Service. The Office 365 product is an example. The user installs nothing (or at least something very small) and accesses the application "on the web'. As mentioned, there are several backup solutions, Dropbox and Google Drive are other tools. Commerically, the AWS by Amazon is a structure to allow companies to dynamically configure (more hosts, storage) on demand.

There are issues for security and privacy that plague SaaS and there is still working being done in this area.

So my Real Player Cloud can store more songs than my old Real Player could. Right?
can I use Cloud to back up my whole system? Is it cheaper than using something like Carbonite?

So my Real Player Cloud can store more songs than my old Real Player could. Right?
depends - - you need to look at the specs of it
can I use Cloud to back up my whole system? Is it cheaper than using something like Carbonite?
Personally, I would NEVER use a Cloud backup as my only tool. As a second copy - - perhaps. The first issue that should be obvious is the system needs to have sufficient facility to boot AND access the Internet :giggle:

depends - - you need to look at the specs of it
Personally, I would NEVER use a Cloud backup as my only tool. As a second copy - - perhaps. The first issue that should be obvious is the system needs to have sufficient facility to boot AND access the Internet :giggle:

Thanks jobeard. Now I don't have to learn how the cloud can back up my system.
Do you know if there is a way to back up your system that doesn't cost anything? Maybe flash drives? Or something that isn't real expensive like "Carbonite"
That is unless you think "Carbonite" is worth the money.

If you wanted to be real serious about it without the cloud, you would buy an external drive (or an internal and use an external dock). Then clone your OS drive to that drive with something like this (free. Then store that drive in a safe deposit box at a bank, except for removing to bring it to your house to clone. Use 2 drives so one is always at the bank for ultra protection.

That is unless you think "Carbonite" is worth the money.
Regardless of cost, I would not rely upon Carbonite.
SNGX1275 gave a good suggestion; keep one backup in the house where you can get at it easily and another copy stored elsewhere (aka the offsite copy).

Backup is an art in itself (several concepts), but I like this flow
PC ==>Local Backup ==> duplicated/copied ==> offsite copy​
of course the offsite instance needs to 'come home' to get it updated, but the offsite copy is your protection in case of fire, flood or famine.

If you wanted to be real serious about it without the cloud, you would buy an external drive (or an internal and use an external dock). Then clone your OS drive to that drive with something like this (free. Then store that drive in a safe deposit box at a bank, except for removing to bring it to your house to clone. Use 2 drives so one is always at the bank for ultra protection.

I have a Compaq computer with the Hard Drive messed up. I think it can be fixed but the guys at BestBuy wanted so much money to do it I was better off buying the Lenovo that I'm using now. If I can fix the Hard Drive. I could put it in the Lenovo,
I'm using now and have one Hard drive to use, and one for back ups. Right?

I have a Compaq computer with the Hard Drive messed up. I think it can be fixed but the guys at BestBuy wanted so much money to do it I was better off buying the Lenovo that I'm using now. If I can fix the Hard Drive. I could put it in the Lenovo,
I'm using now and have one Hard drive to use, and one for back ups. Right?

So. Maybe having the back up Hard Drive and the Hard Drive I'm using in the same computer isn't such a good idea.

For just a regular backup, having them in the same computer is alright. Very few people do offsite backups. It really depends on how robust of a backup you want to do and what software you are going to use.

Is your Lenovo a desktop?

For just a regular backup, having them in the same computer is alright. Very few people do offsite backups. It really depends on how robust of a backup you want to do and what software you are going to use.

Is your Lenovo a desktop?

Yes it is You can't put 2 hard drives in a laptop, can you?
Most things I have now I can easily reinstall Mostly I want to save my music, I have downloaded a lot of songs from You Tube and plan to download a lot more.I don't want to have to down load them over again,

Find the USB 2.0 port and wire that to an external HDD
Why would I buy an external Harddrive when I already have a Haeddrive in my Compaq that ( once I get it working again ) I can either put it in the Lenovo, or leave it in the Compaq, and use the compaq for backup.
Sounds to me like that would work Except for the fact that any virus I might get in my Lenove I might also get in my Compaq, Because I use the same protection for both.
Rats I thought I had it all figured out. Now I'm not sure. I just know that it would take me a long time to save up for an eht.

Back