Coded TCP boosts wireless connection speed, eliminates packet loss

By Shawn Knight
Oct 23, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Researchers at Caltech, Harvard and MIT have been working with colleagues in Europe to come up with a method of boosting wireless network performance. What they've created is a network that is 10 times faster than a typical modern network...

Read more
  2. captainawesome

captainawesome TechSpot Booster Posts: 410   +42

Wow different worlds. South African ISP's manage to make packet loss and high latency a way of life on wired networks. It's very rare to see a wired connection with under 3% loss (in data centres - never mind home connections)
  3. spydercanopus

spydercanopus TechSpot Guru Posts: 802   +87

Shouldn't need new hardware to add a protocol.
  4. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,907   +115 Staff Member

Very interesting tech but the description "eliminates packetloss" is very misleading.
    Sure it does but it adds overhead via parity data instead, more data will need to be transferred and the load on the receiving client will be higher aswell (proportionally to the packetloss)

It's like comparing RAID levels that have parity data vs those that do not.
    RAID-0 gives 1TB usable space with 2x 500GB harddrives (But if one fails all data is lost)
    RAID-5 gives 1TB usable space with 3x 500GB harddrives (But allows one drive to fail)

The RAID-5 example has a overhead of 33% and also needs allot of CPU cycles to calculate the parity date when reading or writing data. (Parity calculations can be offloaded to a dedicated CPU aswell but then that costs allot of money instead vs a software based solution)
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,029   +222

I was thinking of emulation of hardware ECC, but that would certainly be CPU intensive to implement.
  6. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 384   +10

I wonder how significant the extra load can be, given the remarkable improvement in data throughput - campus wifi data rate up by a factor of 16, high-speed train data rate by 27 times. The advantages have got to outweigh the additional overhead on any but the most overloaded server, I'd think.
  7. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,907   +115 Staff Member

@TJGeezer
    The overhead is probably not that bad, I just wanted to highlight that there is no way to both have the cake and eat it at once :)
    Software RAID-5 can be done by modern computers and they can handle throughputs atleast a hundred times faster than 54G WifFi ;)
    But as I said it would also be possible to implement this in hardware, and then there wont be any CPU overhead, only cost overhead when purchasing your next WiFi card :)

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.