Coin is the all-in-one credit card designed to slim down your wallet

By Shawn Knight
Nov 14, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Y Combinator-backed startup Coin is taking a new approach to mobile payments. Where others like Isis and Google Wallet are hell-bent on transforming your smartphone into a digital wallet, Coin is content to leave your phone alone and instead focus...

Read more
  2. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Cool! But many rewards cards have bar codes that are scanned, not magnetic strips that are swiped. I don't carry a wallet, I have a money clip, so something to slim it down would be very cool.

The downside of course, it that it would be much easier to carry around that old credit card I'm trying not to use anymore.
    9Nails likes this.
  3. SolarisGuru

SolarisGuru TS Rookie

So what happens when you hand this card to a waiter and they accidentally hit the button and change the card you want to use. It appeared as though all he had to do was press a button to change the card, so what's to stop a waiter from accidentally pressing it and using the wrong one?
  4. dennis777

dennis777 TS Enthusiast Posts: 285   +33

Its a nice tech that will make evil villain's life very easy. "one card to steal them all"
    cliffordcooley likes this.
  5. Jackwoz

Jackwoz TS Member

What about the cards that have a chip in them that you insert as opposed to swipe?
  6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 2,920   +627

Ha, card skimming used legitimately? I'd be interested in this I suppose - but what happens when PIN fails and you need to sign?
    MrAnderson likes this.
  7. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,212   +174

Some of my cards are a bar code. (Gym Membership, etc) This is a neat item, and I'd love more it if it had an E Ink display, like the one on a Nook, which could be scanned for those bar codes.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,341   +1,939

"Coin is the all-in-one credit card designed to slim down your wallet"
    Although they aren't credit cards, Apple have been designing their products to do exactly the same thing to your wallet for years now. And rather successfully to the gullible I might add.
  9. Forg0t2

Forg0t2 TS Booster Posts: 147   +25

Hmm, I still prefer my 200+ cards in the wallet. They don't bother me. Besides it is common to use the chip instead of the swiping bar in our country which that card does not have, making it useless for 95 % of the cards...
  10. How have they addressed the inherent security flaws in swipe?
    What about countries that use chip & pin?
    What about when NFC/contact-less payment more wide spread?
    bluenio likes this.
  11. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Well, those cards are used in technologically advanced and more secure places like Canada. Here in the US, we're a bit behind and we don't have them yet. Maybe this will leapfrog that technology. This card could automatically disable if it's without of range of your phone if you set it to.

And no matter what, it's not going to work with machines that you have to insert your card into, like some ATMs and parking kiosks.
  12. Funny how folks just read an article and then make comments without taking the time to follow up a little. A couple clicks and 30 seconds got me to FAQ responses that address what people have already mentioned above:

13. Direct from their FAQ:

14. Ok...rather than answer all these qualms you lazy people have just go the FAQ and it answers 98% or more of your concerns, geesh.
  15. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,926   +185

I've always wanted a card like this and have discussed it with many of my friends.
    But in Europe I'd say at 95% of places you need to use the chip on your card when paying, so this wont work.
    The fact that we require the chip here when paying is very well explained in the video, just look how easy it is to swipe a card!
  16. You have to enter a PIN number (not shown in the video) before you can change the card.
  17. It's worth noting that when purchasing this device, your credit card will be charged immediately although you should not expect shipment until sometime next summer. You will not be asked for a shipping address because according to the site "Anything can happen between now and next summer".
  18. MrAnderson

MrAnderson TS Maniac Posts: 488   +10

I agree, that was the issue I have too. They should have a lock on the button with a PIN. There are a lot of good things people brought up, but I think this could evolve and the initial features are pretty good for the first unit. The button thing is a sticking point, and I would like to learn more about security. What will a store say if they don't recognize it. Does it display your name? Some place request your ID. Also, some places require the security code on the back if they have an online system. Lots of things to consider. I still hope it works out.
  19. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Enthusiast Posts: 115   +21

$55 to preorder or $105 if you wait until the summer of 2014. When the battery dies, the magnetic strip wears out, you break it or it gets wet, you'll need to fork out another $105 to purchase a new one (per their website's FAQ). Even though I like the technology and I could/would use one, I think I'll carry my original cards and pass on this until the price comes down to around $20 (or less).
  20. ddelamare

ddelamare TS Rookie

I love magnets, they wipe everything, including stupid ideas like this.

If you have 10 cards, your in dept. I have 2 and space to fit my mobile in the same pocket! (BOOM)
  21. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Enthusiast Posts: 115   +21

I have many cards (8 to 10) that I use for special purposes like 0% interest for several months. Every card is paid in full and I would only carry a balance when I get a 0% deal (Best Buy, Home Depot, HHGregs, etc...). Having one of these could be could be beneficial to me but the price is just way out of line.
  22. wholesalestunna

wholesalestunna TS Rookie Posts: 35

Apparently you're supposed to be able to lock the card so the button can't get pressed to switch cards with your cell phone. I agree though that it looks like there could be a lot of issues to face once they hit the street. It sounds like it'd be a better tool for those that steal credit card numbers and make their own fake cards.