Comcast fires all TechTV staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
It's been confirmed at Leo Laporte's blog that Comcast has fired the whole TechTV staff... never seen their shows since I don't live in the US, but this might be a big deal to some of you that are subscribers.

Per the WARN Act (governing plant closings) all the employees of TechTV have been given 60 days notice. The San Francisco operation will be shuttered by July. 100 of the existing jobs will be posted for those willing to relocate to LA.

Man, that just stinks......I hope things to take a radical turn. For the most part, I think it's been a good network. We'll see what happens.:(

Ho....ly.....crap - that sucks!!!!!!!! The TechTV network ruled!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Comcast blows.

Good

It was about time someone put a stop to those crappy shows. I mean, I think "Secret, Strange and True" was the only show worth watching. The guys on the Screen-Saver show did not know what they were talking about half the time. Did you guys ever watch that so called Dark Tipper? (Kevin something) I have never in my life witnessed anyone as lame and clueless as that dude. Biggest poser ever; I remember one time he was giving tips on wardriving as if it was somthing new he had just discovered; I am talking, the rest of the world had been wardriving for over 2years and this l33t dude was telling us how to do it LOL. The guy once had the guts to say on the show that he had been the one who discovered the Microsoft Messaging vulnerabilty and that he had informed microsoft about it but they never answered back LOL; Then you had this girl named 'Megan' i believe who would always wear shirts with a 'tux' "ala thinkgeek.com" and a caller once called to ask a linux question and she did not know what to say LOL. And man were they corny!; That seemed to be a thing with every show on that network: Corny Jokes. Only bad thing is some of those chicks were actually pretty hot :p

I know, I know, for someone who thinks so little of that network it sure seems I have watched quite a few episodes. Well, the truth is tech tv for me has always been like that show "7th Heaven": it is so insanely crappy you just gotta watch it..."

Not everyone is a supercomputer guru like EvilKernel. Some people actually didn't already know some of the things they say on techspot. Yes they are wrong some of times. Yes they sometimes tell us things that we already know and they get just a little to excited about it. The thing is, what else is there for people interested in computers. TechTv is the best thing out there right now. If it's gone then there is nothing. If anything they kept you well informed on new products.

?

Not everyone is a supercomputer guru like EvilKernel

Oh look, sarcasm... This isn't a pc-magazine forum last time I checked; most people here are pretty knowledgeable so I stick to what I said: TechTV is lamer than AOL itself !:D :D :D

Re: ?

Originally posted by EvilKernel
TechTV is lamer than AOL itself !:D :D :D

I'd have to say that's a bit too drastic... :)

Although I do find TechTV interesting, I do agree that I don't find much use for it. However, I can see how it would be great for people interested in technology as a whole and basic to modest computer skills.

I watch it. But its pretty rare that I learn anything on it thats helpful to me. I've suggested to them several times in e-mails that they needed a more advanced show where they would talk about the more advanced things you can do with Windows and also talk about linux topics. Or crap like how things work like networking, or ntfs permissions, ect, stuff that would actually be helpful for people that are a bit more knowledgable than the people that call in to screen savers or call for help.

It was for common people and their computer questions, not nerds like Kernel. Not EVERYONE spends all their free time on computers, and it was for those people. Yes, Kevin (the dark tipper you were talking about, Kernel) is a little dumb. But, they put him on there for that reason. He makes mistakes, maybe people like that or something. It's the same thing as showing all those UGLY *** interns on all their shows, I don't wanna see that stuff. Yes, they make mistakes on the show sometimes, but they are also in front of cameras on tv. I mean... looking at a camera is a lot different than sitting in your dark behind your computer monitor, Kernel. The network used to be good back when it was called ZDTV. X-Play was called Gamespot TV before it was called Extended Play or X-Play. It had Lauren Fielder and Adam Sessler, and they were good. Then, it went to Adam, then Kate and Adam, then Adam for a long time, then with him and Morgan. I think he gets paid to act retarded, because that's not how he is. The show worked alongside gamespot.com back then, and they were on the same 10 point scale as gamespot. Anyway g4tv merged with Techtv, so they'll keep some of the good shows. But.... :rolleyes: ZD still owns comcast, ZDNet, tech tv, Electronic Gaming Monthly.... Gamespy (which has all the planet sites, IGN, Fileplanet and others). I don't usually post on forums because I'm gonna have some geek start to use his big kung-pow dictionary words on me in a minute, and that's jus lame. Just thought I'd say something since I've been watching the network back when no one knew what it was and it only had 3 shows, and that I'll miss it.... even if I wanna kill that announcer on X-Play. :blackeye:

I live in the UK, so I don't get to watch TechTV anyway. It's a bit of a shame, because I'd love to watch a tech program like that.

I remember that not too long ago I watched a clip on the internet that taught me a little about clusters. I was kinda impressed by it.

Seems to me that to have a person on a technical show that makes mistakes is a good idea. I mean, that show seemed to be for people who have more than the average amount of computer related knowledge/experince, but not enough to be completely "L337" like some people. Lets face it, If it was only aimed at the elite of computing, how many people would watch it?
The audience it's aimed at make mistakes. To have a supposed expert on tv making mistakes, well, I suppose thats comforting to some people. It shows that we're all learning all the time.

It strikes me that if people were so absolutely "L337" that the don't understand this, and that they don't remember when they were just learners themselves, then they wouldn't be posting here in the first place. They'd know it all already. That said, to have some more advanced stuff on the show would've been perhaps a good idea. You can alienate part of your audience too by oversimplifying things..

Most of tech TV really blows. Wired for Sex? Martin Sargant? There is so much they could do with that network. Right now the only thing that I would definetly tune in for is to see what kinda shirt Morgan is wearing. She has no talent though and that goober that is on X-Play with her is a real dorkasauraus.

The fat guy Patrick on The Screensavers is perpetually rude and condescending to callers sure it gets a giggle from the audience but it's no way to treat a guest. He has an attitude problem. I hope he ends up selling logs.

There is great potential for a tech network. I doubt Comcast is going to do it but currently it ain't being done either.

Sam

I agree with Sai. No matter if i learn anything or not, it beats Disney Channel. I am interested in computers. I never really watch TV but when i have it on, I have it on Tech. I don't sit intently waiting to soak up some kind of useful knowledge. i have it on because it is a subject that interest me. Most of the time it drones on with out me paying attention but it's better than Lifetime or some other channel that does not have anything that i am interested in.

It is a good show...but lets face it the actual people have no television prescence or chemistry except for the girl for the obvious reasons [she was likeable to be politicly correct]. The main guy was frankly boring, might as well of been watching him fish.

Huh?

After actually seeing some episodes, I must say I quite like the show... They aren't completly braindead (though their lan-party is .....), and actually do come up with some interesting tidbits.

But the girl seems a bit too forced to me. I get the feel that this is something she's only doing to get paid, and has no interest in computers.

BTW: Anyone seen any episodes from the new channel G4techTv?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back