Community I have no video

Messymess66

Hello Community,

I recently just took 2 computers and made them into 1. The mobo is an MSI x99a sli plus and my GPU is a EVGA 970 gtx sc w/ a i7 5820k CPU.. All components were working at time of "rebuild" and I have built computers in the past and have experience with them. The mobo doesn't offer on board video and I thought perhaps the gpu would have one standard output to provide video for new Windows Installation.

I have changed out all cords to assure I have tried working ones and still nothing. Any advice at this point would be extremely beneficial. My only other thoughts is somehow the mobo is shot...I really hope not.

Thanks in advance!

Hi.

I'm no expert but I've recently encountered no display issues on my rig as well.
It turned out that my GPU was dead even though the fans were spinning. Fortunately my mobo has a video display so I was able to rule that out easily.

You may want to test a different GPU, or test that GPU on a different system if you can.

You can also try re-seating GPU or using the other slot and see if that helps.

Good luck.

Hi.

I'm no expert but I've recently encountered no display issues on my rig as well.
It turned out that my GPU was dead even though the fans were spinning. Fortunately my mobo has a video display so I was able to rule that out easily.

You may want to test a different GPU, or test that GPU on a different system if you can.

You can also try re-seating GPU or using the other slot and see if that helps.

Good luck.

Thanks Potato Judge, I have tried re-seating the video card. I do have an older GPU an evga 560ti that I could plug in and try to see if that works. I may end up buying a new Motherboard if I can't figure this thing out. I just want to game....lol.
Thank you for the input!

Try that old video card on that msi mobo, if it doesn't work, no displays no flickering at cold booting.
It would be the mobo, if its not the mobo and gpu kicks on, try getting rma support for the gtx970.
It might be a long shot but make sure the end of the gpu card metal is not touching the inside of the case or mobo.
Make sure the mobo is not screwed in to tight nor for the gpu, I've have problems like that from time to time.
Usually the problem goes right back to something being on too tight or positioned wrong in the case/mobo.

Try that old video card on that msi mobo, if it doesn't work, no displays no flickering at cold booting.
It would be the mobo, if its not the mobo and gpu kicks on, try getting rma support for the gtx970.
It might be a long shot but make sure the end of the gpu card metal is not touching the inside of the case or mobo.
Make sure the mobo is not screwed in to tight nor for the gpu, I've have problems like that from time to time.
Usually the problem goes right back to something being on too tight or positioned wrong in the case/mobo.

Thanks Maiku,

I tried reseating my 970, tried my old 560ti with all the drivers already loaded on my hard drives and that still didn't work. I'm getting zero video. Is it common for mobo's to have no on board video? How does the GPU get its drivers if thats the case? I am just trying to think of any way to not spend money on another mobo. My cpu is the 2011v3 socket so those aren't cheap...

Some motherboards come with onboard some of them don't, whenever I buy a new mobo.
I always aim for one that has onboard, so just in case my video card doesn't work or stops working completely.
Atleast I'll have something to fall back on as for the mobo graphics.
Msi usuallly includes the drivers intel gives them.
If it were me that mobo would end up in the recycling can if its having that many problems.
1 (888) 447-6564 call them and see if your mobo has any warranty left if so ask the technician to send out a newer mobo.
Not a revision of the same mobo you have now, also I know how costly the socket 2011 can be.
A friend of mine on another forum use to have that, I think he got his for free from where he works at last time I heard.
If the cpu is in good order and you don't mind buying a lower costly mobo and cpu go ahead and move away from lga2011.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Core...611000&hash=item1a38dadd40:g:dlgAAOSwy~BZ9zhi
Check the end sales results, you could sale it for 185.00 shipped, just a thought to think about if worse comes to worse.

Back