TechSpot

Comp Hangs at Post

By CkevW
Nov 12, 2006
  1. My daughters comp boots to the post screen and then hangs up and the screen goes black. Any suggestions?

2. twite

twite TechSpot Paladin Posts: 937

Is this HD set to first boot?

3. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

It may help if we knew what the pc is and a little history, like, has it been upgraded?? Has the bios been messed with???

4. CkevW

CkevW TS Rookie Topic Starter

The comp is about 1 yr old and it was upgraded many months ago. It was working fine when we had the power go off in how neighborhood from someone hitting a pole. When the power came back on it started doing this. It is a pent 4 emachine. I believe it boots thru the floppy first then the cd then the hd.

5. Rik

Emachine, i should have known!!!! Will it boot from it's windows cd assuming that it has one????

6. CkevW

I have not tried to boot from restore cd was hoping not to have to lose everything.

7. Rik

Firstly, booting from the cd will tell you if the pc is still bootable!! Emachine psu's (power supply unit) are notoriously crap, they have a habit of going bad and killing the mobo!! If it will boot from the cd that will at least tell you that the mobo is still working!!!!

Secondly, the cd will not necessarily wipe the hard drive!! It may be possible for it to recover windows for you without a reinstall!!!!

8. CkevW

The PS went bad almost right after we bought it and melted the MB so both have been replaced.

9. Rik

What make and wattage is the replacement psu?????

And have you tested the cd to see if it will boot????

10. CkevW

When I try to boot off the CD I can hear the cd fire up and start spinning but the screen stays black

11. Rik

Hmmm, about the only option you have then is to try clearing the cmos!!

There is a button cell on the mobo that will say cr2032 on it, remove it for about 10 minutes with the power chord removed from the back of the pc!!!!

If that makes no difference, then you may well need another mobo and psu replacement!!!! Especially if the make of your current psu is Bestec!!!!

12. CkevW

Ok I forced it to boot thru the CD using f11 command and the only option I am givin is a full restore.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.