Comp on, screen is not....

By gamesguru
Jun 11, 2007
  1. Hey guys,

First post here... hoep you guys can help. I have a computer which is turned on, but the screen is still in standby. Its in standby as if its NOT receiving a signal from the computer. Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

The screen works fine (I pull lead out of tower and the standard RGB thign comes up -- so screen works) but is not receiving a signal somehow. I checked the lead with that of 2 other monitors, and still they dont work, and they work fine on other machines.

Could anyone tell me how to fix this?

Much Obliged.
  2. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

A couple of things to try 1st

You aren't plugging it into the Onboard VGA and not the Video card {Assuming that's your setup - some more details would help!}?

Does it display the POST screen when you 1st start up?

If so, hit F8 a few times immediatly after POST and start in safe mode. See what resolution it's set to - it may be unsupported by your monitor.

If no Display during POST, there's a good chance your Video Card has passed away...:(
  3. gamesguru

gamesguru TS Rookie Topic Starter

No boot screen in any sense, just remains in standby.... I fear my ONBOARD graphics chiop may have burnt out. Pretty old board, but it actually came on for like 4 seconds -- the immediately turned back off, hasnt come on since.

And there is absolutely no card in the system.
  4. Fragrant Coit

Fragrant Coit TS Guru Posts: 363

Better hope it has an AGP slot - wouldn't be PCIe if it's a bit old.

Easiest way to check is to pull the Left - as you are facing it - Panel off and have a look. Generally there'll be a few PCI slots {usually White in colour} and the AGP slot above them.

Any specs on the machine - CPU / Motherboard ?
  5. gamesguru

gamesguru TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah I have a good understanding of hardware and software -- been building these babies for as long as Ic an remember. 1 AGP 8X, 3 pci. So I'l try a video card.... thanks for your response.

Btw the motherboard in question was an ASROCK PVM800 *old old old* hehe.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.