TechSpot

Company of Heroes not good on Dell 3000

By marlboromannz
Nov 3, 2007
  1. Hey there this I my first post! Sorry I'm already asking for help :)

I have a Dell 3000 I bought about 4 years ago, recently I have upgraded it to 1.24GB of RAM, I got a 256MB video card and a 200GB external hard drive. I did this mainly so I could play games a little newer than C&C Generals!
    My computer has a 2.9gHz Celeron processor I have just been given the new Company of Heroes game which says my computer has a "Poor" CPU (even though on the box it says 3.0gHz is recommended and 2.0 is the minimum ) I have the game on the lowest graphics settings and it runs so slow it isn't funny. How hard is it to install a new CPU? And since my current motherboard is PCI and my modem and video card are PCI will I need to get new ones if I can get a new CPU with PCIe slots (or similar)? My CPU is a apparently a socket 478 (whatever that means!) Any help would be much apreciated!

Thanks heaps!

2. Juanra

Juanra TS Rookie Posts: 19

Go to systemrequirementslab.com to test.
    WHat is your video card model? Because in my system I have a 3.0Ghz CPU, 1.25GB RAM, and an Nvidia Geforce fx 5700le. My bottleneck is the videocard Your CPU seems strong.

3. marlboromannz

marlboromannz TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have an Nvidia Geforce FX5200 (256mb)
    I did systemrequirementslab.com and I passed everything, I got about 1/3rd of the way between minimum and recomended on the analisys... Seems weird that it could be my video card but the game says my CPU is crap.

I have all sorts of stuff in my Windows Task Manager thats taking up my CPU memory but I don't know if I'll mess my computer up if I stop them :)
    I have five SVCHOST.exe!! (Is five of the same thing right? Local service, network service etc - but I have dial up!)

42 processes all up!

4. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 710

5. marlboromannz

marlboromannz TS Rookie Topic Starter

But don't I have a 2.9ghz CPU? Isn't that better than a 1.8ghz??
    Sorry to ask so many questions :) I'm starting to get the hang of it all!!

6. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

u're big problem is the Celeron processor those where kinda second class processors to begin with, they were never meant to do gameing or anything intinsive.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.