Compaq Presario CQ50-209WM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing out a DC socket

I have a question regarding this computer. My friend bought this a while ago at Walmart for $298. Now I just finished fixing on problem with it, then when i plugged it in the laptop doesn't charge. I went no where near the socket when I worked on it but it is extremely loose. The charger works fine, and the battery also works perfectly. it has to be the socket being so loose. I looked up the part and it is much different from other sockets I have seen. Has anyone saw this kind of socket, and how do i replace it? It is Hp part number 486637-001 on their site. Thanks for any info!

Actually I just found the answer to my question today. Hp had no clue what i was talking about even with proper technical terms. I wont ask them again. ;D

I went to the Compaq website and downloaded full schematics on the laptop. There is a plastic border around the part that holds it in place. On that border there are two plastic clips that hold the DC socket forward. They broke off so i made a custom metal bracket to hold it into place. Problem solved, didn't even have to order a new part. :)

Thank you for your consideration on this matter. It makes me feel like part of the community.

Kudos to you! :grinthumb Good job on your makeshift part and my hats off because very few people I know actually repair laptops. raybay who is a frequent poster here is one of the few that does it for a living as well as PCs.

This is a good community. I encourage you to get involved and lend your knowledge/experience any time you can.

I'm just glad i was able to do it i have no experience with laptops really. I'm use to desktops and OBD systems in cars.which is saying a lot for someone with no certifications. It was a good experience, you should try it sometime. The parts are just really tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back