TechSpot

Compaq Presario CQ50-209WM

By Spike89
Oct 14, 2009
  1. Changing out a DC socket

I have a question regarding this computer. My friend bought this a while ago at Walmart for $298. Now I just finished fixing on problem with it, then when i plugged it in the laptop doesn't charge. I went no where near the socket when I worked on it but it is extremely loose. The charger works fine, and the battery also works perfectly. it has to be the socket being so loose. I looked up the part and it is much different from other sockets I have seen. Has anyone saw this kind of socket, and how do i replace it? It is Hp part number 486637-001 on their site. Thanks for any info!

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 12,168   +37

Have you tried contacting HP?

3. Spike89

Spike89 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Actually I just found the answer to my question today. Hp had no clue what i was talking about even with proper technical terms. I wont ask them again. ;D

4. Route44

And the amswer is?!?

5. Spike89

I went to the Compaq website and downloaded full schematics on the laptop. There is a plastic border around the part that holds it in place. On that border there are two plastic clips that hold the DC socket forward. They broke off so i made a custom metal bracket to hold it into place. Problem solved, didn't even have to order a new part. :)

Thank you for your consideration on this matter. It makes me feel like part of the community.

6. Route44

Kudos to you! :grinthumb Good job on your makeshift part and my hats off because very few people I know actually repair laptops. raybay who is a frequent poster here is one of the few that does it for a living as well as PCs.

This is a good community. I encourage you to get involved and lend your knowledge/experience any time you can.

7. Spike89

I'm just glad i was able to do it i have no experience with laptops really. I'm use to desktops and OBD systems in cars.which is saying a lot for someone with no certifications. It was a good experience, you should try it sometime. The parts are just really tiny.

8. Spike89

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.