Compaq Presario Optical Drive/Boot problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone!

I have been having this issue recently that I need help with. I am fairly clued up when it comes to computers, but this one has me stumped.

I have a COMPAQ Presario F500AU
1.8GHz AMD Turion x64 X2 Duel Core processor
Nvidia GeForce 6100
Broadcom Wireless
15.4" WXGA Widescreen LCD display
Windows 7 Ultimate beta Ver. 1000 (Windows Vista Home Basic was standard with it)

I recently had to take my DVD drive out and re-insert it due to dusty contacts. I put my laptop back together and inserted the DVD drive back in.

Please note, when I did all this, I was wearing a static strap connected to the computer while working on it on an anti-static mat with the mains and battery disconnected from it.

When I insert my DVD drive into the laptop, my laptop lights up, but I get no video signal. After about 30 seconds my computer turns off and on again. If I take my DVD drive out of my laptop, it boots as per normal.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I could solve this issue?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
David

[sarcasm]
Thanks for all your help guys :p
[/sarcasm]

I figured it out. The DVD drive was shorting and causing the machine not to function. I purchased a brand new one and it works fine. If anyone has a similar problem, I suggest removing the DVD drive first and starting your computer.

Make sure that before you remove the drive, you disconnect the laptop from the wall charger/docking station and remove the battery first! There will be one or two screws on the bottom supporting it too. You will need to remove them in order to take it out.

Good luck!

Cheers,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back