Compaq Presario R4000 won't turn on

Hi.
I have a Compaq Presario R4000. It's around 6 years old. Until recently it has worked as well as any other laptop with the usual software problems. Yesterday I tried to switch it on and all I see is the charge light flashes once for around 1 second then goes out. No response at all from the machine. Tried running it without the battery but still no response. A friend told me that it may be the battery and that some laptops won't run without a battery inserted.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers.

The motherboard is probably fried, after 6 years. Also, the CPU cooling heatsink/fan could be bad or the thermal paste or pads could be burned. If the battery is the original it is in long need of replacing...

"that some laptops won't run without a battery inserted"

Not exactly true. If the AC adapter circuits are faulty, maybe yes. Otherwise, it is not true. If a battery shorts, it can keep a laptop from powering up

Has the laptop been running hot, quickly after startup? A few Compaq & HP laptops of that vintage (especially the DV6000) were prone to heat the GPU so much the solder melted, disconnecting the chip from the mobo!
If so, it's fairly terminal unless you are brilliant with the soldering iron & lucky.
I hope this isn't it, but the symptoms are the same. Good luck! :)

Has the laptop been running hot, quickly after startup? A few Compaq & HP laptops of that vintage (especially the DV6000) were prone to heat the GPU so much the solder melted, disconnecting the chip from the mobo!
If so, it's fairly terminal unless you are brilliant with the soldering iron & lucky.
I hope this isn't it, but the symptoms are the same. Good luck! :)

No, not mine. not at all... I did notice however that the AC adapter light wasn't on - am going to replace it (order placed) and will try that route first. Thanks for the help!

It is old, I guess, but had been working fine - isn't that always the case?- see prior post re: AC adapter replacement.
THanks for the help!

So the new AC adapter worked for you weezyljm? Dobienet hasn't replied to his own thread yet. This happens often when the thread is hijacked... this time by you weezyljm. Consider starting a new thread next ime

Back