Compaq Proliant 400 CPU Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, i wonder if someone could shed a little light on this problem for me please.

Can i upgrade the processor in a Compaq ProLiant 400 that is currently running a 350 MHz (Slot 1) Pentium II processor?

I know that the last ProLiant 400's ran with 650 MHz Pentium III processor. Is it possible to upgrade from P II 350MHz to P III 600MHz?

I looked at the switches on the Motherboard and saw that there were dip switch settings for all processors from 350 to 550. Does this mean that i can only go up to 550 MHz, or will I need to make additional changes to upgrade from my 350MHz?

Has anyone done this?

Any advice/ pointers gratefully accepted

Thanks in advance

Alan McCormack

This page says that there are no differences between the generations of PL 400. I would assume this means that you can put a PIII 600 into your machine with no problems.

Of course you can confirm it at some Compaq support firm. I'm sure they will be glad to help you if you hint them that you are going to buy the CPU from them ;)

Originally posted by Nodsu
This page says that there are no differences between the generations of PL 400. I would assume this means that you can put a PIII 600 into your machine with no problems.

Of course you can confirm it at some Compaq support firm. I'm sure they will be glad to help you if you hint them that you are going to buy the CPU from them ;)

Thanks for your help. I have read that page previously and even though it says that there are no other changes apart from the CPU, I might just err on the side of caution and only insert a 550MHz CPU as that is all that the settings on the CPU dip-switch goes up to.

A 600 MHz CPU might work, but i wouldn't know the dip-switch settings.

Is there no "auto" setting? For example I recently put a 500 MHz CPU in an IBM server that had DIP settings only up to 450. The DIP configuration was undocumented, had to ask IBM for it (a firmware update was needed too).

Thanks for al your help, but i have just another quick question on upgrading a Compaq ProLiant 400 from a 350 MHz (Slot 1) Pentium II processor to a PIII 600MHz...

Don't PIII processors have different power requirements to the P II? If so, won't the Voltage Regulator need to be upgraded? But, I understand that the Voltage Regulators are built into the motherboards on the ProLiant 400, hence the potentially tricky problem of upgrading from a PII 350MHz to a PIII 550MHz.

Does anyone out there know if i can do a straight swap, replacing a PII with a PIII, or will the PIII need a different Voltage Regulator?

Has anyone out there done this? Any help much appreciated.

Alan

Don't know about proliants. I have looked into IBMs only.
In IBM servers the voltage regulator for the primary CPU is built in and it supports all the CPUs supposed to be supported by the machine. The regulator for the second slot comes with the CPU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back