Compaq - what OS is best

Status
Not open for further replies.

thewolfe

Compaq - what OS is best

I have a friend and with a Compaq Presario Presario 5834. He is buying a new machine and since this was not running right we are going to redo it. It has an Intel Celeron processor with 191 MG.

It's running Windows 98 second edition. Evidently Compaq set up with a C drive and a D drive. The D drive stores the backup info to restore when necessary. However that no longer works.

I am thinking about wiping out both partitions and installing a new operating system. My question, which one.

This machine is going to be used for getting on the Internet and for the office software.

What's the best OS I can put on the system? Win98, Win98 SE, WinME, Win2K, WinXP. I think Win2K, WinXP would be too much for it. What do you think?

Tier one vendor machines are well supported by all Windows and also Windows is well supported by tier one vendors.

You can put any Windows you like on it, just consider the speed that Windows will run at. If the memory and CPU configuration of that Presario are the original then it will be able to run 2K (a bit slow). If you have some 128MB RAM then it will run OK unless you use CPU hungry progs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back