Completely no sound after trying to connect bluetooth headset

terence monty

Hey guys, I have a pretty big issue with my "acer aspire" laptop. I've been trying to connect my bluetooth earphones (treblab x100) but I couldnt get it to connect, so I restarted my laptop but told me to update, and I did. after the update, I had no sound AT ALL on my laptop, when I play the test tone it gives me the error "Failed to play test tone", so I decided to try playing my music that I already have but it wont play and it gives me this message ("Cant play. We can't get to the file for this item. If it's downloading or just finished downloading, try again soon. Otherwise, make sure another app isn't using the file and that you can access the place the file is stored."), after that I tried to play a video but it wont play. I dont know if it was caused by the bluetooth earphones or the update. ive also tried wired headphones and an external sound card.
Thanks in advanced!

Hi. You might try restoring to a earlier time when your sound was working. You could also try rolling back the Windows update. Check to see if you have the latest driver. Check devise manager. Did you click on the drop down, for more options here?
If you need help with any of the above suggestions, let me know.

I have downloaded both the original bluetooth driver and the audio driver from the website but had no luck. I cant afford to restore to an earlier time because its been around a month already and ive saved too much things, I cant afford to lose them now

When did you update windows before the device stopped working ?
I need you to think back for me some, we could check the windows update history.
See which update or driver needs to be removed.
I'm pretty sure windows will not clear it out, even if you update to a beta version of windows.
Also did you pair your bluetooth device to windows ?
That might be something to look at to make sure its paired up correctly and being recognized.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14169/windows-10-fix-bluetooth-problems-faq

Last edited:
When did you update windows before the device stopped working ?
I need you to think back for me some, we could check the windows update history.
See which update or driver needs to be removed.
I'm pretty sure windows will not clear it out, even if you update to a beta version of windows.
Also did you pair your bluetooth device to windows ?
That might be something to look at to make sure its paired up correctly and being recognized.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14169/windows-10-fix-bluetooth-problems-faq

the update was on the 17th of october, and I have tried to uninstall the update but it says the uninstall couldn't be completed. I got it to pair up but never got sound on it so I gave up. now im just trying to get my laptops sound back

Hi. I'm sorry, but I don't understand your question. Here's a quote taken from the tenforums tutorial that I attached. Hope this is what you're asking.You need to be patient. The repair upgrade will take two+ hours.
  • You will only be able to do a repair install of Windows 10 from within Windows 10. You will not be able to do a repair install at boot or in Safe Mode.
  • You will need at least around 8.87 GB + what Windows is currently using of free space available on the Windows drive.
  • The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same edition and same or newer build as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then the repair install will fail.
  • The installation media (ex: ISO or USB) must be the same language as your currently installed Windows 10. If it's not, then you will not keep anything.
  • If you have a 32-bit Windows 10, then you must use a 32-bit ISO or USB.
  • If you have a 64-bit Windows 10, then you must use a 64-bit ISO or USB.

I would like to try the repair install but can I do it from win 10 home to win 10 pro? thanks

It wouldn't be a good idea directly from within the os but doing a clean install from a bootable usb device would help.
Use the installation media provided by holdum, follow the instructions the tool tells you to do.
Make sure you have your main hard drive hooked up and no other hard drives, otherwise windows installation will stall.
From the installation of windows 10, tell it to delete and format your hard drive.
Make sure you have your windows key ready to go before or after the installation is done with.
Otherwise you will be given a trial of 30 days and a choice to buy a new windows 10 product key or not use it.

Hi @MaikuTech The reason I suggested a in-place repair is because the OP stated they couldn't afford to lose any thing.
I do agree however, that a clean install is the best install. Also a key is not needed if W10 was digital activated.
The key will be linked to your Microsoft account.
Thanks for helping!

Hi @MaikuTech "Also a key is not needed if W10 was digital activated".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You will find out hard way eventually when you do need the key.
You might have the wrong/corrupted version of windows 10 provided by ms.
Or you do need to show to proof for activation after a number of reinstalls.

Good luck from now on.

Hi I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe it is my digital assigned Key. Not sure when I would need it.
Capture26.JPG

Hey everyone, thanks a bunch for helping me out. iv'e finally got it working after waiting for the new windows 10 update. im guessing it set some things back to default to get it to work. anyways, thanks again!

Hi! Thanks for your reply(y). I'm glad to hear you solved your issue. Now you can pass what you learned to others.
W10 is getting some things fixed with patches and I'm thinking they will eventually get the bugs out. It will take awhile.
I'm not aware of updates setting things back to default, but who really knows?:D

Back