Complicated Network Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be making this too difficult for myself so let me know if their is an easier way to do this...

Network 1, wireless linksys router connected to internet with 2 PC's connected to it wirelessly.

Network 2, wireless linksys router running dd-wrt not connected to internet but with 3 PC's connected to it wirelessly.

I want network 2 to access the internet through network 1, but the link between the two networks would be done wirelessly via two cantennas on each end. This is a long distance link. I have a spare Motorola w850g that has been flashed with ddwrt generic so it can now be used as a bridge, so Im thinking I can connect it to one of the lan ports on the linksys on network 2 and use it to connect to network 1.
I would like to eventually share files between the two networks but need to get the internet up first.

As a network topology, would this even work? I'm gonna be totally lost configuring IP addresses so I guess one thing at a time.

Thanks for your help

And you have one IP? What is your average connection speed? What is your cable modem or DSL modem brand and model? Finally, what sort of equipment will be connected to these devices?

When you get into complicated setups, it is most helpful to always use the same manufacturer for all equipment... When that is not possible, use the same equipment at the next (or distribution) level.

The Motorola is one week link, but attempting to do too much with home LinkSys wireless unit is perhaps another.

on the dd-wrt router set it to repeater then go to the Status>Wireless and click on Site Survey at the very bottom. From there select your first wirless router and you should be all set. If you have a wep Click Wireless>Wireless Security. For Security Mode, select the appropriate choice that matches your primary router – either none, WEP, WPA or WPA2. Now both should be on the same ip range and you will get internet

xxdanielxx said:
on the dd-wrt router set it to repeater then go to the Status>Wireless and click on Site Survey at the very bottom. From there select your first wirless router and you should be all set. If you have a wep Click Wireless>Wireless Security. For Security Mode, select the appropriate choice that matches your primary router – either none, WEP, WPA or WPA2. Now both should be on the same ip range and you will get internet

Sweet, will give this a shot tonight. By the way, the router on network 2 is a linksys flashed with dd-wrt as well. Should I connect the motorola router to the WAN port of this linksys router or one of its LAN ports.....

Im thinking the WAN port as the motorola becomes the gateway to the internet... (since its connecting to Network 1)

Thank you!

are they both wireless if they are one can be in room A and the other in room B they do not have to be connect with cable the way I said above will be connect via wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back