Compuer won't boot or post!, Can't get past memory test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I'm new here, and I have a problem I'd like to get some help with.

With the computer off, I disconnected my regular C: Drive (Which runs Sin XP Pro) and put
in it's place another hard drive that I just bought used. This used HDD has WinNT on it but
you cannot boot into it unless you know the username and password. So instead of that, I
just shut down my computer and took the used HDD out and put in the original HDD (My regular C:Drive).

Now when I turn on the computer, it will not get past the memory test. The memory test
completes saying it's OK, but the part that says "Detecting IDE Drives" or whatever will
not show up. I've cleared the CMOS several times, took out the battery for like 20 minutes,
and still it has the same problem. I cannot even get into the BIOS. The CD Drives will not open
(although the CD Drive lights are on). It will not even boot from floppy because it can't get
to that point.

Any ideas what happened and what the problem is? And more importantly, how I can fix it?

Thanks a million in advance!
~MrStrype

PS. Below is exactly what the text on the monitor shows at the point where it freezes.

Award Modular BIOX v6.00PG, An Energy Star Ally
Copyright © 1984-2000, Award Software, Inc.

07/25/2000 For KX-133 K7 Chipset Support

Main Processor : AMD Athlon™ 750MHz(100x7.5)
Memory Testing : 655360K OK DRAM CLK : 100MHz

Press DEL to enter SETUP, ALT+F2 to enter AWDFLASH
07/25/2000-8371-686A-6A6LKPA9C-00

What motherboard are we dealing with?? And do you have anything on the orginal drive you do not want to loose???

tbrunt3 said:
What motherboard are we dealing with?? And do you have anything on the orginal drive you do not want to loose???

Hi and thank you for responding!
The Motherboard = EP-7KXA
And there is nothing on the original C: Drive that I don't want to lose.
Where to go from here?
Always,
MrStrype

Ok Problem solved.
I took off all the cards from the Mobo, took off the processer, all the memory, the battery, cleared the CMOS again...everything. Then put it back together and now it's fine.
Thanks,
~MrStrype

usually, when you make a change in hard drives or anything like that...you should always go into setup or reset the cmos...this way it can start with all of it's default settings. if you can't find the jumper to reset the cmos , try taking the battery out and turn the power off...wait a few seconds , then plug it back in . also, if you made any changes to the jumper on the hard drive , you should make sure that you put it back the way it was....hopefully that works...

and the problem with my computer :(

it does me exactly the same, but your solveout doesnt work plz help me i cant live without computer thx a lot for reply

hi. mrstrype plz can u tell me exatly how have u done it ? plzplzplz for how long i have to took the battery off??? and what about power cable? is that must be pluged while reseting CMOS? thx for response and have u found what was the cause?? is there a problem with bios?

kaniobal,

your computer must be unplugged, once unplugged hold the power switch in for several seconds to drain any residual power in the system. then open the case and remove the CMOS battery. let it set for at least 15 min then replace the CMOS battery plug the computer in and boot up.

thx very much and dont u know if i 1st should put cpu RAM and GK back and then battery or first battery?? and restart bios with battery in or out??

it doesn't matter in which order you put anything back, as long as you put it back and it's set correctly. also, even if you took out the battery and weren't able to have anything done...check the motherboard for a reset cmos/bios jumper diagram on the board somewhere. jump it...and turn the power on...usually the computer won't even respond...( that's ok ) then, switch the jumper back to it's original setting and turn the computer on...that should have everything back to the default values. another thing is, if your jumpers are not set correctly on your hard drives ( master / slave ) you're going to probably get a freeze...also...another thing can be that your ide cable might have been put in backwards into the motherboard.

If you have a memory card reader plugged in (internal or external) then unplug it. I have seen this many times especially with ECS boards but not limited to them. Let me know how you get on.

Chris

Just realised you already solved it.

OOOPS

Saturday morning syndrome.

Hope it helps anyone who may have same problem anyway.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back