Computer Blew up (smoke) need help to get it back on its feet

Status
Not open for further replies.
So here's the story. Was working on the computer for 1/2 hour and then proceeded with shutdown. As it's getting to the last step in the process it starts making a ticking sound and then I smell something is burning, so i shut off the power. I open the case and see the power supply is burnt. So I replace it with a Dynex 350W. I see the green light on the motherboard (ASUS P4PE) turns on and it didn't before. I try turning the PC on but with no luck. So I look at the pentuim chip and see its fried. So i get a replacement chip from Intel (P4 2.2GHZ) and install it. Again the computer doesn't start. I really dont know what the problem can be. What's the easiset way of troubleshooting? Can the mobo be dead although the green light turns on? Can it be the power button on the case that got fried and it's not starting up the mobo? Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hotbounce

I have had this problem in the past where my psu blew up. it's hard to troubleshoot what's going one (last time when this happened, almost all the components fried). So you have replaced the cpu, which means that your CPU is fine. Now, have you clear teh CMos? Did you hear any beep from your mobo? If you didn't hear any beep, then my guess would be that your mobo has fried.

PUTALE said:
I have had this problem in the past where my psu blew up. it's hard to troubleshoot what's going one (last time when this happened, almost all the components fried). So you have replaced the cpu, which means that your CPU is fine. Now, have you clear teh CMos? Did you hear any beep from your mobo? If you didn't hear any beep, then my guess would be that your mobo has fried.

How do I clear out the CMOS (& why?). When I click the power button in front of the PC nothing happens. Does this mean that the Mobo died or that the power button isn't sending the electric signal to start the Mobo? (As I mentioned before, the green "ready light" on the Mobo turns on when I plug the computer into the electric outlet).

if yyor power supply blew and took out the CPU it probably also took out the mobo. the green lit on the board doesnt mean the board is working it only indicates that it has power.

you can clear the CMOS by using the jumper on the mobo (alternatively, just take the battery out of the mobo and let it sit for like 10 sec or so and put it back in).

The green light just means that the mobo receive current but it does not mean that the current is running smoothly in the board. If there's somewhere on the board that got shortcut, you won't be able to boot the system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back