Computer Build Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeParadoX

Could someone help me pick out parts again? I've been thinking of building a new computer for when my friends come over so we can play CS and COD4. I was wondering if you guys can assemble a list of a Intel "LAN" computer, possibly a case with alot of fans or a case that could be easily modded so I could add more fans in the side panel. I'll start assembling a list and post them here, I'm open to suggestions. :)

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
Post your budget and I'll see what I can whip up.

Oh sorry, I wrote this at 4:30am :)

I guess a budget of $800-900, but don't let the price restrict you on this. ;)

Will this new build mean everything or are there parts like monitor, keyboard, etc. that you don't need to spend cash on? Also, what operating system are you leaning towards?

Ok, assuming you don't need a monitor, keyboard and mouse, here's the build I propose:
Grand Total = $707.89 with shipping and rebates included.
A cutting-edge system that will run any game effortlessly, and the case has room for upto five fans for excellent cooling, as per your requirements. You'd still have enough money left for a suitable HDD and DVD drive. I'd recommend any drive from the Seagate ES.2 series, and this burner.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

He picked out a really kickass system for a low price. I second his motion. Throw in a cheap HDD from Seagate/Western Digital and you'll be good.

The 4850 is 200 now, so yeah. How much better is the 4850 than the 9600gt? I know theres a large difference, but why/how?

I love the Processor by the way.

The 4850 uses the RV770, which is a heavily upgraded version of the R600 chip. It manages to be on par with the 9800GTX, which is much more expensive, while also drawing less power. The cooler is single slot though, and it runs pretty hot, so good case ventilation is needed. But that's a minor problem, and the performance is certainly worth it.

Wow, reading over that and your post showed me something. A friend of mine wasted 250 dollars on an 8800GT not too long ago.

When did that card come out?

I got a pretty nice price on my card, so it doesn't matter, but I'm still wondering.

snacks said:
When did that card come out?

I got a pretty nice price on my card, so it doesn't matter, but I'm still wondering.

Either yesterday or today. Seriously, it is a brand new release. I thought AMD's 3800 offerings were nice but this 4850 has me jealous! Particularly because I got a Palit 9600GT back in April. However it only cost $109 which was a great deal (and still is).

Seems like a rock solid build, Rage!

Thank you very much for the help, I have a question though, Do the newer ATI cards produce as much heat as the previous editions?

The HD 4850 runs hot and has a single slot cooler, which would heat things up in your case unless you have good airflow. However, the Antec Nine Hundred has plenty of airflow, so it should keep the card pretty cool IMO. You could always change the HSF later too if you want to. But I believe it's the best bang-for-your-buck video card available today.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
The HD 4850 runs hot and has a single slot cooler, which would heat things up in your case unless you have good airflow. However, the Antec Nine Hundred has plenty of airflow, so it should keep the card pretty cool IMO. You could always change the HSF later too if you want to. But I believe it's the best bang-for-your-buck video card available today.

Oh ok, thanks for the info Rage.

I'm going to add four 80mm fans on the Side Panel and a HDD internal fan, I also plan on changing out the stock fans that came with the case so the 4850 might not run AS hot as a normal case. ;)

-edit-

Now I need to find a 80mm / 120mm fan, I've been looking through Newegg and I'm trying to find something that will keep it cooled.

80mm Fan

I looked at the Reviews for the fan linked above and people said it's very good, I don't really care about noise since I play with a headset on anyways.

120mm Fan

I've also read the reviews for that and it seems like a very nice fan.

The review for it made me laugh:

Other Thoughts: I am starting to worry for the safety of the universe, due to the small black hole developing in my PC.

I'd recommend the Scythe SY1225SL12SH Slipstream fan instead of the Ultra Kaze, mainly because of the lower noise generated. It pushes almost the same amount of air too. Be sure to get that exact model, since the SY1225SL12SH is the 1900RPM version of the fan, which delivers maximum cooling performance.

Rage_3K_Moiz said:
I'd recommend the Scythe SY1225SL12SH Slipstream fan instead of the Ultra Kaze, mainly because of the lower noise generated. It pushes almost the same amount of air too. Be sure to get that exact model, since the SY1225SL12SH is the 1900RPM version of the fan, which delivers maximum cooling performance.

Ok, thanks for your help Rage. :)

Acclamator said:
Why not get some LED fans? They'll make the machine look 1337.

LED fans do not usually blow as much air as possible due to using power for both the LED and the fan itself. My current desktop has 6 LED fans, two 120mm blue LEDs, one green orb CPU fan, two 80mm blue and my Powersupply has a Blue LED. :)

Since my case will not have a window to show off the inside, since four 80mm fans take up alot of room, there is no reason to get LEDs at the cost of lower performance. ;)

I have a new question now, I'm thinking of getting a new videocard / CPU HSF for my current desktop.

I currently have this CPU Heatsink:

ZALMAN 9500 AM2

and this videocard:

EVGA 8800GTS 640mb

The videocard is getting pretty hot ( for my standards, you might not agree ) at around 48-52c idle and 60c load, this causes other things that are around it to also get hotter ( the heatsink is huge ). I was thinking of changing it to a 8800GT for possible SLI or go with the 9 series, which should I do? As for my HSF I was thinking of something like this:

XIGMATEK 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler

I never really heard the brand XIGMATEK for CPU cooling, but from the reviews and specs it seems really good. A person said it lowered his CPU temps by 10c and doesn't go over 43c load. I would also like a opinion on this as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back