Computer connects to the router, but not to the Internet... Others work fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running a set-up with my two roommates for almost 2 years now. We use a hard-wired router for internet connections, and recently mine quit working. I still can connect to the router itself, but not to the internet. The other two computers still have great connectivity. I've tried manually changing the I.P. address which doesn't solve any problems. Cycling the router and/or modem does nothing, and repairing the connection tells me that nothing is wrong with it.

It's been really frustrating and I'd love to solve this problem. I haven't tried directly plugging my computer into the modem (instead of through the router)...would that tell me anything? Any help would be fantastic.

Ok, I have tried direcly connecting to the modem and the same problem happens. It says that I am connected at 100mps (just like the router) but i cannot access anything online. Pinging sites such as google comes back negative. Running ipconfig/renew or release does nothing (i think because I put in a manual IP...if i have it set to find its own IP, it gives me Limited or No connectivity). ipconfig/flushdns comes back ok. I'm pretty stuck here...could it be something wrong with my laptop's hardware?

This problem is a persistant one. I'm going to try connecting via a USB to Ethernet cable connection instead of directly out of the Ethernet port. Any assitance would be greatly appreciated...

Contact your ISP provider seems the problem is with your modem and not the router nor the PC NIC. One you you did that test from Modem to PC direct and you get the same issue then it's the modem not connecting to the ISP servers for you to get a DNS address.

was just talking about what can cause this in a different thread. Varies by isp, who's your isp? (do you use comcast, i know is true for them)

Your isp can see a unique hardware id that;s in your modem. For starters, some ISP's will not connect to you if the ID isn't registered. (there should be a tag on the modem indicating the MAC ID which is the number they need.

You can either just call them and tell them you changed modems (they may want you to read them the number or might be able to do a reset from their tech center to read it themselves)

There are possible alternates that may work. Disconnect the cable to ISP from the modem as well as the modem power. Wait about 5 minutes or so. Reconnect. See if you can connect to your ISP (that will sometimes force them to reset depending on their setup)

i',m sorry. just reread your first post (which i skimmed earlier) thought i had read something about your router qutting and not working so replaced but i see you said you have 2 computers hooked and working on router and, well, ok.. is a clear sign is time to signoff and go to bed :zzz:

in a wired connection (router --- system)
report the result from ipconfig /all

Ok, thanks for the replies guys! I've been working on the problem some more. I tried connecting through a USB to ethernet connection instead of through the ethernet port, and the same problem occured. I've also tried to have my computer both find the ISP and DNS servers on its own as well as manually inputting them. When I manually input, I have access to the router. When I have the computer try to find its own, it says that there is a connectivity issue. I've also tried cycling the modem/router (unplugging them, waiting, then trying agian) many times. Nothing seems to be working. The other two computers connected still work absolutely fine.

My provider is CableOne. I haven't tried calling them yet...just because I work nights and am not usually home/awake when their phone lines are open. I'll probably get around to trying it at some point, but I can't help but think that the problem is with my computer and not with the modem...dunno.

Again, thanks for the input everyone! It's very appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back