Computer continues to crash idk why

Status
Not open for further replies.
well basically i am running windows xp home. It is just an old crappy laptop but i use it frequently. Recently i deleted all the accounts except for one and uninstalled a lot of programs. Like nortan and such. When i reset my computer after doing so it goes rigt into the new account and none of the icons pop up or the start menu. Following this a blue screen appears for about 2 seconds saying something about the computer has encountered a problem. When i reboot it and hit f12 i run it in the last settings that worked and it runs good, for a while. but if i start it normally it does the same thing. I do not want to system restore. What should i do?

It sounds like one or more of the programs you uninstalled might of corrupted or deleted an important file associated with the system. Did you get any sort of msg while you were uninstalling? Maybe a file that was associated with another? Also, you say you ran last settings but don't want to do system restore, I'm sry.. i'm a little confused to this. When you restore your last setting isn't that using system restore? Also why don't you want to do system restore? From what I know system restore only reverts settings back to the way they were, your files itself are not touched.

Regarding the reluctance to do a System Restore: I see this occasionally and think it's just due to a misunderstanding what System Restore DOES and DOESN'T do:

First, it's a very easy process to do: The following gets you there:
All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> System Restore
Once there CHECK 'restore my computer to an earlier time'> Next> choose any date in BOLD on the left screen> Next.

That's it- all there is to it. Let the restore take place. System will reboot when through.
The system creates restore points about once every 24 hours, if the computer is on.
YOU can create a restore point when ever you want:
Follow the path to the restore screen: click on 'create a restore point'> Next> close when through.

TIP: make a shortcut for System Restore and drag it into the Quick Launch Toolbar.

The is NOT the bigggggggggg restore when you go back to Last Known Good Configuration.
This is a helpful way to undo some small thing that may have caused a problem, like an update.

You can find a full description here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Restore

Windows XP> what it excludes:
excludes any file types used for users' personal data files, such as documents, digital photographs, media files, e-mail, etc. Also excludes the monitored set of file types (.DLL, .EXE etc.) from folders such as My Documents in Windows XP

Vista:
Windows Vista, this set of files is defined by monitored extensions outside of the Windows folder, and everything under the Windows folder.

What it monitors, when and how restore points are created, in a nutshell:
Up to Windows XP, files are backed up only from certain directories. On Windows Vista, this set of files is defined by monitored extensions outside of the Windows folder, and everything under the Windows folder.

So why? What do you think you'll lose?
I do not want to system restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back