Computer crashes etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

daddystabz

I am having a terrible issue with Ad-Aware SE Personal. Everytime I boot my machine I run an Ad-Aware scan and let it do its thing and then I use Enditall to close background processes because I'm a gamer and I like to free resources for that. Anyhow, After I let Ad-Aware update the other day...couple days ago, the program seems to freeze during scans now.

It gets to around 55,000-56,000 files scanned and just freezes up. I have to work hard with ctrl+alt+delete to get it shut down. I noticed this all started after the new update file for Ad-Aware a couple days ago and after my girlfriend downloaded Yahoo Games onto my computer, which also installed Yahoo Toolbar. I uninstalled most of that now except for Yahoo Toolbar. I need to get it cleared as well. However, I am having another ongoing issue too, somewhat older than the issue I'm having with Ad-Aware. When I go into my control panel and look at add/remove programs the program list will not populate. It doesn't even when I wait a long period of time. No idea why the list just remains blank. This makes it difficult for me to remove software.

As for Ad-Aware, I finally deleted it and downloaded a new copy from download.com. However, it seems to freeze during installation. It gets to the part where it scans the computer for previous versions/ad-aware software and just sits there. I am going to run a full system scan with Norton Anti-Virus and see if that turns up anything.

Thanks in advance for help!

Hey daddystabz!
Try downloading a fresh copy of the Windows Installer(not just and installer, it helps with the removal of software components as well) and install it to see if the problem goes away.
If not i would say you need a repair install of XP.

Where do I get that at? Anything special I should know? Will that make me have to reinstall windows/recover my system?

Hello daddystabz.Welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE follow the instructions,then post an HJT log in the Security and the Web forum.

We can try to deal with the Ad-Aware problem and the Norton problem(Norton is a problem),after seeing your log.

Thanks all. I found the 3.1 Windows Installer software and I will be downloading it and trying it once my Norton AV finishes its full system scan.

In addition, thanks Peddant, I will do what you have asked as well once Norton AV finishes its scan. Thanks all...I sincerely appreciate your help!

I don`t think Windows Installer will be much use in this situation.

Best get straight on to the HJT log.

Did you follow the instructions in the link in my first post (including the scans) ?

You should post your log as a.txt attachment,in the Security and the Web forum..

I am so sorry! I didn't see you were supposed to list the scan as an attachment till I had already posted all that! Please forgive me.

I have attached the Hijackthis scan to this thread and will also do so in the other forum you mentioned.

In addition to this I ran a full system scan using Norton Anti-Virus and it found nothing. I also ran Spybot Search and Destroy and it found 43 issues. I had it eliminate 40 out of the 43.

Attachments

• HJT Log 9-17-06.txt
    8.7 KB · Views: 7
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I have deleted your other thread on this subject and moved this thread to the correct forum.

That is not a full HJT log.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of daddystabz only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Ok, this is where I'm at right now. A BUNCH MORE PROBLEMS.

First off, I went to the website and I downloaded all the programs you recommended. I did what the instructions said. I got to the part where I am supposed to download 4 tools and run each of them. I downloaded tool #1 and followed its directions. It asks to put the computer into safe mode to run a scan. I tried over and over to get my system into safe mode but it just wouldn't cooperate. I was using the F8 method, tapping it as the computer would boot. This was all being done before the windows flash screen would show. Everytime I'd get to the safe mode options menu where you can choose which mode you want to go into the computer under I could not move up or down the list with the arrow keys. It would simply not move and the computer basically was nothing but a loop to this screen with no luck moving.

I then tried letting it go into the system in regular windows mode. I went to msconfig and set the bootini for safeboot so that I could try to get into safe mode that way. Now whenever the system boots I can get to the options list to choose how I want to enter into the system BUT no matter what option I choose it simply just reboots and heads right back to this menu again. If I choose just safe mode I see it loading the drivers and stuff and then it simply reboots and heads right back to the menu again. No matter what option I choose I'm just stuck in a never ending loop. I cannot get into my computer at all now. I am writing this message from a spare computer at another location. Now I'm very worried. I need help badly.

HEy daddystabz

Go to the following link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058/. It shows you how to access Microsoft Recovery Console, once there use the following command: bootcfg /default (Sets the default boot entry) this will help you fix your boot.

But for future reference never never never change the msconfig and set the bootini for safeboot because if there a problem like your, your computer gets stuck in a continuous loop that you cant get out of.

Good Luck

Later

That`s very good advice from wazza.

If you have trouble following any of the instructions for whatever reason, just move on to the next step.

Regards Howard :)

The headaches continue...

I get into the recovery console but cannot get past the part where it asks for administrator password. I cannot recall an admin password at all. ::sigh::

Ok...now when I get into there I do the command you suggested, the c:\WINDOWS>bootcfg /default and then it does:

total entries in boot list: 1
[1] "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"
OS Load Options: /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /safeboot:minimal
OS Location: C:\WINDOWS

Select installation to add:

That is what it says to me now. No idea what to do next.

It looks to me like it found 1 entry so maybe it wants me to simply type "1" and hit enter...no idea.

This one stump you all?

The following command makes the first boot entry (line number one) the default boot entry. bootcfg /default /ID 1

EG : bootcfg /default /ID 2 would make line number 2 the first boot entry

So yeah, use 1

Ok. I selected 1 and hit enter and it said: "The selected boot entry is now the default". and went back to the c:\WINDOWS prompt. I guess I needto reboot now, right?

I agree with wazza.

Hopefully, you`ll be able to boot into Windows normally now.

You should still follow as many of the instructions as you can in the link I gave you in post #8

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of daddystabz only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back