Computer desktop power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a working power supply that I pulled from a 10 year old computer and it reads as follows:
L&C Technology Inc Switching Power Supply
Model: LC-250W
Is this power supply worth any money?
How can I find out if it's an ATX power supply?
Thanks

An AT PSU has two motherboard connectors and a separate power cable with a switch.

Mind you, not being an AT, the PSU can still be any of the proprietary or small form factor PSU standards.

You should look up the ATX pinout and dimensions on the internet and compare with your PSU.

The thing is worth only petty money. It is too weak to power any modern hardware so it could be used only as a spare for an old machine or for a low-power project.

what you SHOULD be asking, is can this power supply reliably supply enough power? A 10 year old PSU probably is on its last legs and most likely cannot supply anywhere NEAR the amount of wattage required by most newer computers.

An AT PSU probably is 150 to 250 watts. Most new systems require 350 or more. I would not get a PSU that is less than 450W for any new system

Also PSUs have capacitors that age over time. A PSU running 24/7 will lose 30% of its power production over 2 years on average.

Hum.. So the PSU in my 12-year-old 483 is delivering 18W by now? Wow! The sure built a lot of overhead in there then :D

You have too little faith in old hardware. Thisng can be built better and worse and an old well-built piece will outlive a crap modern part.

Well, actually all new PSUs come with the extra "P4" connector that you are supposed to connect to the mobo ;)

An please try to read the threads you reply to.

Whether or not it's worth any money depends on how much load its rails can carry. Since L&C is made by Deer, who make some of the worst PSUs out there, I wouldn't bet much on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back