Computer detects less ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 512MB of ram and my computer has random periods when it detects only 384MB, I start it up and it start counting my ram as usual and it stops at 384MB then it dectects my drives and boots up windows, and in windows I also have only 384 and it's very frustrating because this is random, it recovers after 1 or 2 days and then it does the same thing again and I don't know what's causing it. Can anyone please help me?

Please post more information...

How old of a computer is this?

What type of motherboard is this?

What type/size/double/single sided memory does the machine have inserted in it?

You could have a motherboard limitation or you have two peices of single sided memory.

I have the computer for about 4 years now and my initial ram way 256MB but about 2 months after I bought the PC I bought another one with 256, and the problem is recent, about 2 months

Actually look at the ram, does it have chips on both sides on both sticks? Does one stick have chips on one side and ther other as well.

Ravencore said:
I have 512MB of ram and my computer has random periods when it detects only 384MB, I start it up and it start counting my ram as usual and it stops at 384MB then it dectects my drives and boots up windows, and in windows I also have only 384 and it's very frustrating because this is random, it recovers after 1 or 2 days and then it does the same thing again and I don't know what's causing it. Can anyone please help me?
What gpu do you have? Sounds like something is using 128mb of your ram. That usually means a video card that uses shared system memory (turbo-cache, hyper-memory, etc.)

Flash your BIOS and that will fix your memory issue. Check to see what type of motherboard you have and go to the website and see if they have a BIOS upgrade.

i couldn't find any bios update for my motherboard, probably because it's an old model... is there any other way to fix it?

memory problems arise if you have a mismatch clocking speed as you brought your pc four years back it must having clocking speed of 333mhz and the mem which you brought now must be having 400mhz. this causes in mismatch of clocking speed and results in not displaying of actual memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back