Computer Doesn't shut down properly

By jtickner1
Dec 19, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, about a month ago my computer stopped shutting down properly. I click shut down from the start menu then it does what it normally does then Windows shuts down but everything inside my case (fans etc) is stilll running and i have no video input to my monitor. It wont turn off just by hitting the power button i have to flick the switch on my PSU to get everything to shut down. The only thing i can think of is that it is my PSU being a tad lame. Is there anyway i can determine the problem so i don't have to go and get a new one when it can be fixed?

any help would be great, Thanks
  2. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,048

Found some people with the same problem and here were their fixes

1) I seem to have fixed this problem by doing the following: Right-click on My Computer, select Properties Click on Network Identification Click on Network ID Then, follow the wizard to adjust your log-on settings. Hope it works for others!

2)I had the same problem and I fixed it with flashing my BIOS. That's all. :) try it, hope it helps to you also...
  3. jtickner1

jtickner1 TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 663

Can't seem to find that network ID thing in My computer.

Do i flash my BIOS by just taking the battery out for a while?

Oh yeah, forgot to mention it doesn't happen all the time, but it shuts down normally less than abnormally
  4. Blind Dragon

Blind Dragon TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,048

I was just showing some of the things that I saw on another forum
  5. jtickner1

jtickner1 TechSpot Chancellor Topic Starter Posts: 663

Cheers, well i shall look around and have a bit of a tinker and hopefully find out what the problem is. It's probably just my CPU it's only a generic one and probably getting a tad old now
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.