Computer doesn't turn on when pressing power button

Status
Not open for further replies.
:knock: Today I came home from work and pressed the power button on the computer to which nothing happened. Not a slight power up and turn off, no lights fans, no sign of life. I used it this morning with no problems or indications of anything being wrong and turned it off when I was done, which it shut down properly. It never just turns off in the middle of gaming or anything. What could be the problem with it? Would that be the power supply? I have it plugged into a good surge protector and there was no lightning of weather effects today while I was gone. I turn it off every night before sleeping and when ever i'm done with it. Anyways, thats some usage of it. Its usually on for 6 hours a day or so and its rufly 3 weeks old. (just built). Thanks for any help you guys can give!!

Jason

Jason - from what you describe (and assuming your power outlet is OK), your computer's power supply may have blown. Thankfully, it is an inexpensive part to replace!

I'd check some of the simple things that if found make you say "duh" to yourself first before replacing the PSU ;)

1. Check that the power switch on the back of your case isn't turned off. Don't laugh, I have done it.

2. You are getting NO lights on your motherboard, right? Double check the connection from the PSU to your motherboard. If you are getting some lights, then double check the connection from your case's front panel power button to the motherboard.

Hello! Welcome to TechSpot

DonNagual said:
I'd check some of the simple things that if found make you say "duh" to yourself first before replacing the PSU ;)

1. Check that the power switch on the back of your case isn't turned off. Don't laugh, I have done it.

2. You are getting NO lights on your motherboard, right? Double check the connection from the PSU to your motherboard. If you are getting some lights, then double check the connection from your case's front panel power button to the motherboard.
Yep, and paying the power Co. counts as "DOH" :haha:
What kind of system specs?
Also are any fans spooling up?
Check the serge protector from the wall socket too the psu.
G'Luck

I've been having this same problem. I'll turn off my computer at night, and when I try and turn it on in the morning, it won't turn on. No fans, no lights. Nothing. But, it will eventually turn on if you keep pressing the button every now and then. I've replaced nearly everything, including the PSU, and I still get the problem. I have a Duron 950MHz, 256MB of RAM, 2 hard drives, a DVD drive, a GeForce 4 MX 440 128MB, and a brand new 400W PSU. I've checked all the wires, and everything seems to be plugged in just fine, and it's plugged into a power conditioner, so that it won't get harmed by power surges. Please help, I've tried everything I can think of, and I'm out of ideas on how to fix this!

For all of these problems similar to each other, All of you need to check the
power on button on the front of your cases.

Check for continuity, pressing it several times, to see that it gets power each time,
check the plugs at the other end. An easy way to test
(if you are confident)this is to bypass the switch,
un-plug the switch from the MoBo and on the two pins, very carefully,
touch both pins (shorting them together)with a paper clip or something small and metal,
your machines should boot up if the switches are bad.

These switches do go out from time to time...a wire may be crimped
or partially cut, it even could be bad wire inside the insulation (inside the wire itself)
they may just need a good spray of contact cleaner.(remove it from case prior to cleaning)

I just dealt with a case that had this problem as well, contact cleaner did the trick for me.
I hope one these works for you!
G'Luck

One other option available to you is to buy a new switch. They are available at some internet sites at least. Sometimes switches just go bad.

hey,
I'd unplugg the computer from the wall, Blow the power cord and then wait a sec, Sometimes that works if it was shut-down improperly or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back