Computer freezes or won't boot - Info

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son's video card expired and he changed it out. The computer wouldn't boot or sometimes got to the Windows screen and would freeze up. I brought the machine to my house where I set the CPU box on a card table in my living room and used my extra monitor, keyboard, mouse, power strip, and cables to set it up. When I turned on the machine it booted up just fine and Ran great. I decided to update his virus checker from the internet, so I unplugged everything and took it into my office, set it up on the floor next to my computer and plugged it into my router. The computer wouldn't boot! I brought in the card table and set it up, so I could sit in a chair to work on it. It booted up and ran just fine! It didn't want to be on the carpeted floor. My son took it home and put a 1" board under it. It wouldn't boot. He then set it on a small table. It runs just fine!
Seems the box was picking up static from the carpet. The box was open all this time. Will try it on the floor with the box closed, tomorrow. We will keep the box on a table from now on.

havent tried a blanket but found a large piece if static wrap and put it on the floor and the cpu on top of it and it works just like on the table. still dont know why it has problems on the floor.

It would appear your system is NOT grounded correctly. Ensure your standoffs are correctly emplaced and the PSU is grounded properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back