Computer Freezes When Playing Video Games

Acacio

Hello,

I have a decently old desktop computer, home built in 2012. I use it mostly for gaming, though I should probably build a new one soon, I want to see if I can fix this one first... with your help, of course.

Anyhow, recently my computer will completely freeze while playing video games. One day it was good, the next it froze about 6 minutes into the game. Now, each time I load a game, it freezes. Essentially, the video stops, all sound stops, the keyboard and mouse quit responding... frozen.

I decided to test my video card by playing several movies with lots of CGI explosions and stuff... no issue. I get that it's different data flowing, but still.
I ran memtest... no errors to report.
Nothing seems to be overly hot, and all of the fans work.

I tried to update the video card driver, but when I do, I receive an error saying my computer doesn't support the driver.

I'm not sure what to try next.

Please help.

Specs: (side note: was just able to update the video card drivers)
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX560
CPU: Intel Core i5-2400

Glad you got new GPU driver installed - but uncertain that is problem.

Did you run memtest overnight? It can take that long to find something. Some say 7 passes...

Turn off 'automatic restart on error' and carefully examine any screens you get on an error. Might be a bad file or something.

Check Device Manager and Event Viewer for errors.

Use a sensor reading utility to determine temps and volts - range is more important than single reading. Temps are bad if high, but volts can be bad high or low

You might also look to make several thorough anti-malware scans - a bad actor could really drag you down. Going into SAFE mode for scans can help root out rotten stuff.

Maintenance (cleaning, etc) and defragmenting can be secondary issues.

After installing the driver, the games quit freezing. I have other issues now, but the games do not freeze.

Now, while playing, the computer crashes and I receive a kernel security error...

I'm doing this now... will be back in a bit.

"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

No Driver issues found; no memory issues found; and no hard disc errors. I'm going to run sensor reading utility to determine temps and volts next.

So, I did the memtest over night, and nothing. Device Manager shows no issues, which is weird because I have no sound... at all. Even went and bought a usb dongle for sound since I thought my onboard sound was broken... and still no sound. At all. It's like my computer just forgot how to process sound data...

I was able to trick it into working by plugging into the front panel sound port and getting that recognized - and then plugging into the back sound port. Something screwy with Windows 10.

I was able to trick it into working by plugging into the front panel sound port and getting that recognized - and then plugging into the back sound port. Something screwy with Windows 10.

Funny that you mention that. While I was scanning the port up front to see if there were issues, the sound in the back started working out of the blue...

The computer still freezes every now and then when playing games, but for the most part, all of the problems are gone now. Thanks for helping me fix this old machine. Even though most of the links you shared weren't what fixed some of the issues, they still put me on the right path.

Thank you.

Back