Computer Freezing due to Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro-Cow

Hello,
I got a new video card recently and my computer has been freezing frequently since. It is fine if i disable the card from Device Manager so i know its something to do with the card. I have the latest drivers and i just finished installing a 650W power supply. Yet the problem persists.

Card:
PNY nVIDIA GeForce 6600 - 256 AGP

Some Comp Specs:
AMD Athlon XP
512 RAM
(I can find out more if anyone needs it)

Some help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Have you updated your chipset drivers for your motherboard? How old is your bios?

Have a look at the link in my signature as well, and run through it to help troubleshoot.

Welcome to Techspot by the way!

Thanks for the welcome. no i havent updated chipset drivers i'll try to do that now and how do you find out how old the bios is. I will check out the link in your sig, thanks.

Ok i've been trying to update my motherboard chipset driver but i cant find any updates, its an Asus A7V400MX but when i go to ASUS' site (support.asus.com) all the drivers i find for it are sound card/graphics drivers. Any help?

yeah it looks like it's for on-board video card only.
Maybe try this:VIA 4 in 1 driver Package Service V4.51 for Windows NT4.0/98SE/ME/2000/XP/2003 it's on the same page. Here:
http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Cheers.
PS Asus does something with it's links so you can never paste the url to the actual page you were on. So the above link is nowhere near where I actually was when I copied from the address bar.

Well i updated the 4in1 thing and it didnt help, so my next step is the BIOs, but at startup the screen that shows the BIOS version goes by too fast to see what version it is, is there an alternate way to find the BIOS version?

Well this has been going on for a while and its really freaking annoying.
I'll say a more detailed description of my problem.

Following a Graphics card upgrade 2 actually. First when i got the motherboard it contained a crappy integrated card.
I disabled that in Device Manager and installed a GeForce MX4000 (128), worked fine but wouldn't run the newer games, so i upgraded again to a GeForce 6600 (256)

Worked fine for a bit. Maybe about a week or 2. Then the computer started freezing, but it was wierd freezing. It wont freeze when i play some games, such as America's Army, Medal of Honor, Call of Duty. But it will in others such as Halo, Swat 4, Black Hawk Down. It doesnt freeze in the desktop but when i play music or get on the internet it freezes. Sometimes before it freezes the screen goes blank for half a second. And very rarely it just shuts off and reboots on it's own but lately i haven't seen any of that. The problem ceases when i disable the card in device manager. I currently owned a 350W power supply, So i thought it might be the PSU, i bought a new one which is 650 watts. But it still didn't fix the problem. It gets 26 Amps in the +12V. Is that enough?

Next i checked the motherboard chipset drivers, there are none and i installed the 4 in 1 thing mentioned above but it didnt help, my BIOS is up to date and i have cleaned the dust off of all the fans and heatsinks even the ones on the GPU.

According to speedfan my

Temp1: 40C
Temp2: 59C
HD0: 37C
Temp1: 60C

Fan1: 2538 RPM
Fan2: 4623 RPM

After maybe an hour or operation.

I dont know what Temp1, Temp2 are measuring, i also dont know why there are 2 Temp 1's. Im assuming HD0 is Harddrive temps. I know Fan1 is my Case fan and fan2 is CPU fan. Anybody see any problems here?

Also in my BIOS it said that the main graphics thingy or something like that was set to PCI, i changed it to AGP because my card is AGP. And on some other area in BIOS that had to do with AGP the setting was on 64 so i set to 256. But it the problem DOESN'T GO AWAY!!!!!!!
Any Solutions?
This has really got me pissed.

How do i do that, i've been trying to figure that out. I thought it was just switching the thing to AGP and Switching that other thing to Auto so it boots the AGP card instead of Onboard VIA or something like that.

AGP display Switch on bios leave it to the auto..'n boot up go device manager n check if its still there (should't be) not only disable it.. but uninstall it

Ok then,,
And what ver. video driver u use?
and put that agp aperture size back 128 or 64 on bios..
try to disable agp fast write
disable vlink 8x support

Use that Retro chipset VIA 4in1 drivers 4.43

u can also test ram with memtest or prime95

Answer to your problem!

I know how to fix just that problem. U need a program named "Rive.." someting, I am at my work now but I can send u the Links when i get home. I did have Exactly the same problems on battle of midleearth 2. And i have the Gforce 6600.

Goran_Torpare said:
I know how to fix just that problem. U need a program named "Rive.." someting, I am at my work now but I can send u the Links when i get home. I did have Exactly the same problems on battle of midleearth 2. And i have the Gforce 6600.

Cool, if you could send me that link it'd be great thanks.

If he's talking about Rivatuner I don't think this will help.

Have you been able to turn off on-brd video in the BIOS yet and turn off fast writes and set AGP aperture to 128?

Cheers.

Yeah i'm pretty sure ive disabled it in BIOS, i set that one setting to Auto so it reads the AGP card. I've reset the aperture to 128 and I ahve disabled Fast Write. And Vlink 8x supprot, but it still freezes.

I have a similar problem but i dont think its the graphic card cause i have had that and it runs fine as far as i know.

i have had this comp in 2002 i have ended up taking out my sound card last year cuase there were problems with that and I had also another issue last year that i have fixed. ( My comp froze wouldnt turn on). I ended up with a new motherboard CPU upgrading the mem another 512 to make it a gig. I also ened up getting a new Sony DVD burner. The only thing that is still running since 2002 is my first 512 mem 120 gig WD hd and my 400 watt power supply.

My GC is Pny GForce 6800Gt I got it to play doom 3 dont play the game anymore

Recently my computer has been freezing when
1) burning dvds
2) playing games Aka Fear (been the only one soo far) Worked when i use to play doom
3) When sometimes playing media files on the web.

The temp of the comp seems to be fine with the GPU and the processor.

What happens when my comp freezes
1) the screen locks
2) cannot move mouse and cant use keyboard
3) no noises
4) all fans work
5) HD is still running
6) when burning a dvd the light turns off
7) mem sticks are not warm too (which is a good thing)

I have no idea whats wrong i have been running xp pro since 2002 i have never done any window updates becuase it always worked fine with out it. I have also just reformated my hard drive and im still haveing the problems. I hope there is some one that has any suggestions that i have not yet tried.

i just got the PNY Verto 6600 card today and i have the same problems. I basically spent most of what i had saved up on this, and when i plugged it in my computer kept starting up, letting me log in, then as soon as the desktop appeared my computer would restart. I went out and got a 350W Power supply (keep in mind im on a budget, and it was 60 as opposed to spending 200 on the next one up) And the same thing happened. I went back to my older card. I have 2GB mem (upgraded a few months ago), AMD Athlon XP 2600+. I started my comp in safe mode, installed all drivers, uprgraded everything and still i have the same problems as before. I think that all 6600's have many problems, but the same thing happens w/ other higher up vid cards.

Hey kmfkkev is your motherboard an ASUS? i have this hunch that its a compatibility issue with 6600 and asus mobos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back