TechSpot

Computer froze-husband did recovery??

By sanjoe
Jun 12, 2006
  1. :wave: Hubby did something to my computer! Argh...He thought I had a virus so I think he did the recovery. I came into the room when he was renaming the computer. Now I think I have stuff on both my C drive and my D drive? I looked at the drive storage and was amazed that it was almost full.I was almost in tears but I remembered this forum. I did all of the malware, spyware removal stuff and now I am lost.
    I just did a Hijack This Log and I don't think you can access my 2 drive problem but possibly tell me if anything looks wrong.
    Thanks bunches in advance.
    Sandy

Don't know if I can just paste the notepad of my Hijack log here...???

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

See HERE for instructions on how to post your HJT log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

3. sanjoe

sanjoe TS Rookie Topic Starter

I saved my Notepad logfile of Hijack this and it is a .txt document. When I go to add the file as an attachment, it says invalid filetype?? I am having a bad day!

4. sanjoe

Finally got it!...I had a brain freeze..Could I just restore my system to a date that everything worked? I am mostly concerned about my emails that were in my inbox. I can't seem to locate them now.

5. howard_hopkinso

If you want to do a system restore, then by all means try it.

Once you have done that, please post a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :)

6. sanjoe

:confused: Howard, Could you please explain exactly what happens when a system restore is done? I am afraid to do too much to this computer because of my lack of computer knowledge. Thanks, Sandy

7. howard_hopkinso

System restore simply takes your computer back to a previous state.

See this Microsoft article HERE. for a full explanation.

Once you`ve done the restore post a fresh HJT log.

8. sanjoe

Howard,
    Thanks for getting back so quickly. Unfortunately I went to System Restore and it only allows me to go back to Monday 6/12. My problems began the weekend prior. Is there anyway we can go back if it doesn't have those dates available?

9. howard_hopkinso

You cannot go back further than the last date available. Did you try clicking on the month arrow, to see if you have any restore points in may?

It`s probably time to post your HJT log.

10. sanjoe

Howard,
    Cannont go back any further with the month or the date. Please see post of 6/12 which I had posted the HJ logfile. Is this O.K. or do you need one from today?

I was explaining the condition of the computer to someone last evening and they said it sounded like my hubby "partitioned" the drive? Does this sound possible?

11. howard_hopkinso

Your HJT log is infected by quite a few nasties.

Also, your version of HJT seems a little suspicious.

Uninstall HJT, then go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post a fresh HJT log into this thread, only after doing the above.

Make sure you only download the suggested programmes, including HJT, from the recommended websites.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.