Computer gets power, but monitor says no signal

By Dexter181
Feb 25, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Last night everything was working fine and everything shut down properly when I went to sleep. This morning I turned my pc on and went downstairs for a minute while it booted. I came back up and my tower was on, fans were running, but my monitor was in standby. I moved the mouse around thinking it had gone to sleep while I was downstairs but nothing happened so I restarted. Everything came on again except this time the monitor said "No Input Signal" before going into standby and I noticed the keyboard wasn't lit up. I'm not sure if the keyboard was lit up the first time or not. I have 2 SLI'd video cards and I've tried booting with only one in at a time with no success. I've also swapped out my ram with no success. I upgraded my mobo last November (11/27/11) and have had no problems until now. As much as I hope it isn't the mobo I'm afraid it might be. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

2x G.Skill Ripjaws 4gb DDR3
    AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core
    GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,682   +153

Try another monitor before you do anything else
  3. Dexter181

Dexter181 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Yeah I hooked up my roommate's monitor right after I made my post. It went right into standby mode also.
  4. Tmagic650

Try another power supply...
  5. Dexter181

I unhooked all the fans so as to use as little power as possible and still no change. Still think I should try a completely different psu?
  6. Tmagic650

Yes, if the computer still won't display after you swap power supplies, then it's the motherboard. SLI set ups need a lot of power. What is the power supply's make and model?
  7. Dexter181

Not home at the moment and can't remember off the top of my head but it's BFG Tech 550w. I did try running it with just one video card and that didn't make a difference.
  8. Tmagic650

Yeah, that's a bit small for your setup... You should be running a 850 watt or similar. I have a Corsair 650 watt in my non-SLI rig and I'm starting to have issues. This system is almost 2 years old. You can check my specs. That AMD CPU draws a lot more power than my Intel i5 does...
  9. Dexter181

I'll try a stronger psu first then. Here's to hoping!
  10. Tmagic650

11. Dexter181

That recommends 568w. I have a 550 currently and without any fans and only one card it still doesn't boot properly.

12. Tmagic650

I would still go with at least a SLI certified 650 Watt... Your existing PS may just be failing to provide enough current on one critical voltage line. Unloading devices may not have any effect on this
  13. Dexter181

Understood. I'll grab a stronger one while I'm out today and report back later. Thanks again!
  14. Dexter181

Just a heads up, it was the mobo. Sadly. Problem solved at least.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.