1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Computer History Museum publishes Apple II DOS source code

By Shawn Knight ยท 8 replies
Nov 13, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. The Computer History Museum has published the source code of Apple II DOS for the first time - for non-commercial use, of course. This is the code that arguably helped propel Apple into a serious contender during the early days...

Read more

2. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 7,446   +2,591

That reminds me I still have my Apple II e packed away in a box in my garage. I bought the thing 2nd hand along with a friend in the early/mid 80's, If memory serves. Don't ask me the spec, I haven't seen it since I boxed it up in the late 80's. It's the only Apple product I've ever owned and it cost me an arm & a leg back then. Just goes to show, Apples never changed.

trgz likes this.
  3. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,989   +762

You do realize that your Apple II could be worth a fortune?!

4. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,485   +205

implying that Apple computers are not legit computers nowadays...

(I really should finish reading the article...)

5. Skidmarksdeluxe

No I didn't. It's been boxed away for at least 25 years now, who knows what kind of condition it's in or even if it still works. I don't have the monitor anymore and it never had a mouse but I still have the keyboard and floppy drives.

6. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,485   +205

Its probably still worth something!

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Now that I'm told it could be worth something, I'm gonna take it out of it's old rotten box, repack it & store it more carefully then leave it to my grand kids. It could be worth even more in the future.

8. avoidz

avoidz TS Guru Posts: 460   +55

Love or hate Apple, that's a genuine piece of computer history.

9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 12,086   +2,107

It kinda looks like the aesthetics were stolen to use on the Atari 1200 XL:[​IMG]
    Of course, I suppose you could say all those squared off, chamfered, vent ports look alike anyway. And then too, you've seen one keyboard, you've seen them all...:D
    This was about 1980, and the RAM was 16K: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_8-bit_family.

The floppy drive for this turd was $400.00!

This was a real computer folks, which you used to play games like, Star Raiders, Space Invaders, Galaxian, and Defender. See, the more things change, they more they stay the same...:oops: