Computer keep rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok here the story:

i tried an old hdd i found and i took of my current hdd ,boot the old one, (chek the size ,etc) put mine back in and since my computer reboot every time windows is suppose to load. I tried another hdd , same thing everything work fine bios ok, detec my hdd, ram ok and as soon i suppose to see win xp booting screen paf it reboot( i dont even see the booting screen) i took off everything except my hdd and video card i even changed the video card but nothing work. I even updated my bios and it keep rebooting.

plz help me :dead:

try replacing IDE wire

Hi, I would first check that all the connectors are tightly in place. then If that didn`t work I would check to make sure the jumper was in place. then, if that wasn`t the problem I would try replacing the IDE connector wire. Did that help?

i tried changing the IDE cable without any result and for the jumper , the hdd work fine in my oher computer and the jumper is on master. now im thinking it can be the motherboard , do you know any prog that can test the motherboard?

time to replace motherboard

Hi, I think you might have a bad IDE controller on your motherboard but I don`t know how to test it. You could get an IDE controller card and add that to your motherboard and see if that will work, otherwise It may be time for a new motherboard.

Hi, again. Here are some other things I would think about; is everything seated correctly? sometimes we can accidently move something out of place when working inside the case. check the memory, the power supply connectors, any odd on cards you may have. also check the CMOS battery, does it need replacing? does the power supply need replacing?

These are all good suggestions but if you don't have anything too important on that HD then why not format and reinstall Win XP? There are many things you can do to trouble shoot the problem if you want to spend the time and money. Before you do this though start hitting F8 after the bios screen until you get the boot up options. Try safe mode, if it doesn't work then try Last Know Good Configuration. If all else fails then reinstall windows, you could also try booting to the Windows CD first then pick the option to restore windows, it will reinstall to a fresh copy but won't distroy any other data on the drive. You can also try to FixBoot option that can be accessed from the CD and that may fix it. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back