Computer Keeps Crashing after Installing New Video Card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently got a new HIS Radeon HD2600 XT 512 MB AGP 8X Video Card for my computer, but ever since I got it, whenever I try to use it for the main reason (that is, gaming, at least for me) it will either crash within a game or leave my screen garbled looking after coming out of one, which is when it'll usually crash after trying to fix that via trying to reconfigure the resolution.

I first believed that it might be overheating, and got SpeedFan, which left me relieved to find out that in addition to the fact that through faster fan speeds, it's NOT overheating, but that overall my system is cooler now.

I then believed that it was possibly the drivers, since: 1. recently ATI has been getting yelled out about them, 2. the drivers that came with the card may have been custom-made or beta, since the most recent drivers that I see are 7.11 drivers, but the ones I had was in the 8s, and 3. whenever the computer recovers, it reports that I had a serious error and offers me the chance to send an error report. The link always talks about how the computer is crashing due to a device driver error.

I've uninstalled those drivers and installed Omega drivers, and while it made the problem less frequent, it still persists. If necessary, I can get some minidumps, since it appears that it won't be stopping any time soon. After all, the old video card I had used to be able to play Half Life 2 well when maxed out, and this one has slowdown issues frequently when running the game, which leaves me worried about its status since I got it for such games like Bioshock and Crysis and the fact that it has issues running Half Life 2, which has got to be at least two years old by now (although Valve does occasionally upgrade the whole Source engine)...

My computer model (it was made by HP) and specs are:
HP Pavillion Media Center PC m370n
Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
HIS Radeon HD2600 XT 512 MB AGP 8x Video Card
1.00 GB of RAM made up of two 256 MB sticks, and one 512 MB stick
Onboard Sound being used (I'd use the internal sound card with the Radeon, but I don't really know how XD)

Most likely drivers ATI drivers quit offering 100% support for AGP back in July version 7.7 to be exact

But before you go trying uninstalling/reinstalling 10 times.

What version OS do you have?

What version Direct X do you have?

Have you updated your Chipset drivers for you mobo?

Blind Dragon said:
Most likely drivers ATI drivers quit offering 100% support for AGP back in July version 7.7 to be exact

But before you go trying uninstalling/reinstalling 10 times.

What version OS do you have?

What version Direct X do you have?

Have you updated your Chipset drivers for you mobo?

I have XP SP2 and Direct X 9.0c.

I don't actually know how to check about the chipset drivers for my mobo, hell, I don't even know what model my Mobo is.

Rik said:
Did you uninstall the driver for your old card before fitting the new one?

Yes.

what computer do you have (brand and model). I'll get you a link. It's a good idea to update your chipset drivers before updating your graphics driver.

And for the record -> this is by far the most problematic card I have seen from ATI

My computer model (it was made by HP) and specs are:
Intel Pentium 4 2.80 GHz
HIS Radeon HD2600 XT 512 MB AGP 8x Video Card
1.00 GB of RAM made up of two 256 MB sticks, and one 512 MB stick
Onboard Sound being used (I'd use the internal sound card with the Radeon, but I don't really know how XD)

Reading is fun! :)

It does sound like bad ATI drivers or you need to update your motherboard drivers to be compatible with the ATI drivers. The only other issue I can think of is the X3 combination of RAM. If mobo driver update doesn't work try removing either the 512 stick or the 2 256 sticks.

Blind Dragon said:
what computer do you have (brand and model). I'll get you a link. It's a good idea to update your chipset drivers before updating your graphics driver.

And for the record -> this is by far the most problematic card I have seen from ATI
As I said:

Also, I hear that myself, but I guess that's what happens when you stop supporting a port that a lot of people still have.

I'd be using a PCIe card if I had the port for it.

You better check the power requirements on that card. If you still have the original power supply, it's only rated at 200 watts, and in actuality, it's only putting out about 150 idling, maybe 175 max. This is where I'd go first before you spend countless hours with drivers or bios updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back