Computer keeps crashing and I have no idea why

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, this is my first post and apologies if i have put it in the wrong topic.

my computer was recently sent away for repair as it kept over heating and shutting down. the people i sent it away to cleaned all the fans, replaced the power supply (that wasnt the cause of the problem but apparently it was knackered) and applied some gell to the CPU.

the heat problem is fixed.
this was 2weeks ago.

now as i play a video game, Champions Online, my computer now crashes, completely unresponsive, can't move mouse can't operate the keyboard, can't do anything apart from turn it off by the power button (the sound in the background still plays to some extent though, for example if it crashes whilst an explosion goes of, the explosion sound effect keeps repeating it self). then when i turn it back on it will then sometimes crash (about a 50/50 chance) on the load up where again can't operate anything and have to turn it off by the power button.

if the computer crashes on load up, i then start it up again where i will get the message about it failing to boot due to hardware or software failure, then instructs me to insert the windows vista disc and select repair my pc. i do this however after i hit any key to boot from disc and the computer loads up the data files from the disc, i then get the blue/green windows vista wallpaper but no menus load up and again i have to turn it off by the power button.

the pc is 2years old and i bought it from Mesh.

the processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs)

i have 4gb of ram however due to me running windows vista 32bit i can only access 3gb of it

my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS 256mb

i have all up-to-date display drivers

thats all the information i can think of that you may need to help me find out what the problem is with my machine

thanks for any help that is given

Hi

i think initially it was an overheating issue, this was fixed,however your list of symptons sounds very much like the hard drive is on its way out..

that said it could also be symptamatic of other issues such as a failing mobo, faulty memory or even just a simple OS fault.

To start with i would go to the hard drive makers website and download the tool for checking the hdd (most makers have them) then run a full test on the hdd.

Then i would get hold of a utility disk that has various free test tools on it, use the tools to run tests on the memory,CPU, VIdeo card etc and see if anything shows up.

The general concensus is that Memtest86 is the best program for testing memory by the way and this can be found via google...however i like hirens boot cd as it has all these on it.

I concur with Ididmyc600. Test your RAM first. Try putting in just 1 module and run the game. See if you experience any further crashes.

just an update on the problem, the computer is now crashing whilst i do anything, go on word, itunes run windows media player classic...anything and it just crashes, and i got the blue screen

dont know if this new problem will help find out what the main fault it

thanks for the help

hi

dont keep posting that your having issue my friend, follow the advice given and then come back to us...

By the way i mentioned a disk in my first post (now edited as TS forbids the mention of it) i hope you took a note of the name..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back