Computer keeps resetting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bark4Soul

My computer keeps resetting outta nowhere, when I play games, when I don't play games. Does anyone know what might be causing this, is there a .dll going nuts and just triggering something? It is NOT, and i rpeeat drivers, all my drivers for everything are updated. Does anyone have ANYTHING I might be able to try? I am sick of it resetting during WoW especially...lol

By resetting, I assume you mean your computer keeps restarting?

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

If that doesn`t help. Zip 5 or 6 of your latest minidumps together, and attach them here.

Regards Howard :)

How would i post a Minidump, and what is one, sorry I am kinda new to these kinda PC problems..

EDIT: Also I updated my user profile so u may view my system specs...hope any of this helps.

Please make sure you follow the instructions in the link I gave you, before posting your minidumps.

Your minidumps are located in c/windows/minidumps.

Please note. Techspot has a limit of 100kB for attachments, so you may need to make several attachments.

You can attach them to your post by zipping them up, and before you click on the submit post. Scroll down the page, and click on the manage attachments button. Browse to where you have saved the zip file. Once you have attached them, then click on the submit button.

When Windows crashes with a blue screen(BSOD), or restarts due to a crash. It writes a minidump. This is a snapshot of what your computer was doing when the crash occured, and contains diagnostic information that may, or may not lead to what caused the crash.

I don't have a I went to the windows directory and I dont have a Minidumps section. I even made it show all the unviewbale stuff and I still cant find it, is there another way to find these minidumps so we can fix this?

Maybe its an overheating issue. Keep blowing air into it after it restarts and keep it running, see if it restarts again. If it does, then look elsewhere for the problem.

All my temps are fine, I can't really get any air into it, the way my desk and PC are setup I can't put a fan anywhere....so I dunno...

Bark4Soul said:
I don't have a I went to the windows directory and I dont have a Minidumps section. I even made it show all the unviewbale stuff and I still cant find it, is there another way to find these minidumps so we can fix this?

Right click my computer, and select properties, and then the advanced tab.

Under startup and recovery click on settings. Make sure the write debugging information box is set to small memory dump. Also make sure that the overwrite any exsisting file box isn`t checked. Click ok/apply/ok.

Reboot your computer.

Now when your system crashes, Windows should write a minidump to the folder c:/windows/minidump

Thank you so much, okay now the next time it crashes, I will get the minidump hopefully, and I will go from there for the upload, knowing my comp tho it crash at least 3-4 more times tonite...

how much, and what brand of RAM are you running?? nearly every stability problem I've had as been dodgy RAM... whilst it could be lots of things, if you've got a spare stick of memory its an easy thing to try. and if you've only got 512MB, then buying another 512 is so cheap it's almost worth it, and if it's not a memory issue then you've got yourself a gig.

for a more precise approach to finding the problem....
can you provide some info. on what services you have running - firewalls, virus-protection, background distributed computing apps, messenger/quicktime type stuff.. what do you run? and also, have you tried turning any of these off.

balzi

How do I view the minidumps? They are .dmp's, or do I need to worry about it, I want to wait til I get 2 more, but if I need to I can post em. Also I updated my profile on here so u can see what I am working with. I have 1 GB of Kingston value ram...

Bark4Soul said:
How do I view the minidumps? They are .dmp's, or do I need to worry about it, I want to wait til I get 2 more, but if I need to I can post em. Also I updated my profile on here so u can see what I am working with. I have 1 GB of Kingston value ram...

If you want to read the minidumps your self, follow this short tutorial HERE

It`s probably a good idea to wait unitill you have 5 or 6 minidumps before posting them. It can be very difficult to diagnose a problem from only 1 or 2 minidumps.

I got this, it happened again, for some reason I only have 1 minidump recorded. But I did finally get this.

Error type : Windows stop error (A message appears on a blue screen with error code information)
Solution available? : No (see Next steps)
What does this error mean? : Windows has encountered an error from which it cannot recover and needs to restart
Cause : Unknown device driver
Computer symptoms : A message appears on a blue screen with error code information (for example: e.g. 0x0000001E, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
Additional steps for you to take : Important: Please continue to send error reports so analysts at Microsoft can study and try to correct the problem as quickly as possible

Information about this error

You received this message because a device driver installed on your computer caused the Windows operating system to stop unexpectedly. This type of error is referred to as a "stop error." A stop error requires you to restart your computer.

Next steps

We have analyzed your error report and at this time are unable to determine the exact cause of the error. However, Microsoft will continue to analyze this error report to try to determine the specific cause of the error. If we are able to find the cause and correct it, and you encounter the same problem, you will receive an updated response that includes instructions for resolving the problem.

*Does that narrow it down 100% to a driver issue?* And if so how will I find out WHAT driver it is?

No unfortunately that doesn`t narrow it down at all.

Right click my computer, and select properties, and then the advanced tab.

Under startup and recovery click on settings. Make sure the write debugging information box is set to small memory dump. Also make sure that the overwrite any exsisting file box isn`t checked. Click ok/apply/ok.

regards Howard :)

I did all of that, I have like 2 or 3 dumps now. I just want to know what driver it is that is causing my system to freak out and reboot. Is there something within a minidump that u can see and help pinpoint for me?

same problem

hi,

i got the same problem:(.... first i thought it was my vga that was broke, but that wasnt it, i checked my memory, but still wasnt the problem, i bought a new powersupply :(...but didnt work :( ....

i got a AMD 4200+ Dual Core Prosessor , a A8V-VM Mobo and a ATI radeon x1600XT vga (PCi-E) got 1024mb ram

i looked after the restarts in the log files, but there where no errors

i dont think its the airflow 2...because i have many fans in it and temps look good.

plzz help me :(

Exactly how did u check ur RAM? And what PSU did u buy, coz a crappy one will still cause problems. Download memtest from here and unzip the file. Burn the ISO image inside it onto a blank CD and boot ur PC with it and let the test run overnight. And post information about ur PSU such as the wattage, brand name and amps on the +12V rail(s).

I think that PSU is a little inadequate for ur system, since it has only 14A on one +12V rail and 15A on the other. A powerful card like the X1600XT would require at least 18A on one +12V rail. Try getting a beefier PSU like a 500W one and you should be okay.

hey,

its not the powersupply, many tests were done on this vga, and it had enough power with psu's that gave less Ampere on the +12, +5 and +3,3 V

Sure it will work at idle just fine with those PSUs, but have u tried stressing the card by running 3dMark 05 or a graphically-intensive game like Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter with those PSUs? Chances are, it gives u a BSOD every time.

yes, i used 3dmark 05 or 06..dunno anymore... but it worked fine, no problems there...

i read a minidump yesterday... and it said, that the problem was my video driver....does anyone know how to solve it?... i got the latest version... as far as i know

To check if u have the latest driver or not, go to Start->Run and type dxdiag in the box. Click OK and in the window that appears, select the Display tab. Under this tab, look at the Version number on the right side of the window under drivers. The last four digits should read 9371, which shows u have the latest version of the Forceware drivers. If it reads something else, then update ur drivers by downloading the new ones from NVIDIA's site and installing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back