Computer loses wireless connection after power cable is plugged into laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6000

Wireless internet picks up signal great, and as long as it's not plugged into the wall to charge wireless works fine, but once you plug it up to charge it'll take anywhere from 5-20 minutes and it'll lose connection. About 1-2 minutes later it will automatically reconnect. Then a few minutes later it will disconnect and reconnect again. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks
Cody

i would try updating your drivers for the dell unit. what signal strength does the laptop report?

If it is related to plugging in the laptop as you suggest its probably one of the two things... A problem with power/battery management software or an electronics issue. I can say I've never seen this before though.

If you're familiar with Windows installs and have the tools to do so, a clean Windows install would be a good start in troubleshooting. If it still happens, we know it is hardware. If it doesn't happen, then we can be pretty sure it is software. If it is hardware, then the only real solution for you might be to get it repaired by Dell.

Keep an open mind as well - this could all be a coincidence. Attempt using your wireless on battery power for a long time repeatedly and try to reproduce the error a couple of times.

it's not my laptop it's a friends so hopefully i'll get a chance to work on it this week or next...

signal strength is always full or one bar from full...

it's not a coincidence as it's been happening for months... she has to use it without it plugged in... but once it gets low battery she plugs it in to charge and it'll lose wireless connection... then on off on off on off for a while...

if she plugs it in even with full battery to keep it charged it does the same thing... just strange and i've never seen it before lol... i'm gonna try to update drivers and everything... if that doesn't work i'll tell her to take it where she got it and see if she has warranty

Slody4Futbol said:
Laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6000

Wireless internet picks up signal great, and as long as it's not plugged into the wall to charge wireless works fine, but once you plug it up to charge it'll take anywhere from 5-20 minutes and it'll lose connection. About 1-2 minutes later it will automatically reconnect. Then a few minutes later it will disconnect and reconnect again. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks
Cody

Have it service by DELL Tech, something is wrong with the MoBO on that unit. Not suppose to work that way...

I have what may be a similar problem, and my Google keywords brought me right to this thread. I'm now a new member of the community, so hi everybody. Maybe you know something about this problem.
Basically, it seems whenever I connect my Dell Inspiron 6000 with XP Home OS to a wi-fi router -- except for the Belkin I set-up at home -- I may get the connection for a few minutes or longer, but then I lose it unexpectedly, even when the signal strength is very good to excellent. This has happened at friends' houses, and at cafes that have a free unsecured wi-fi connection available. It's bugging me.
I've tried looking at and changing firewalls so that there no blockage from MS, Windows or Norton; none of that seemed to do anything to alleviate the problem. Each time I lose a connection, I'll either try Repair, or I'll look at the routers available list, and disconnect (if still connected) and/or connect again. No matter, it'll still lose the connection again, sooner or later.
I have also tried different unsecured routers when available and in range.
Btw, I've been ignoring LiveUpdates that I frequently get to install new updates. I don't like just saying, sure, go ahead, because I've seen in the past that at times these updates take "forever" to install. They can vary in size and the space they'll take up too. And I probably don't need or want some of these. A friend had given me a site to go to where I could check each update and see what it relates to before I give the go-ahead to install it. But I get Update alerts so often that I feel I don't have the time nor desire to read about each update. So I haven't been installing any.
Should I bite the bullet and let them go ahead and install, in the hopes that doing so may somehow solve the problem with the wi-fi?
Incidentally, a few months back or so, I had a problem where each time I pressed the button to power on the computer, it would turn on only for a few seconds, and then power off. Not even enough time to get a blue screen. So I sent it to Dell, and they of course did the most efficient thing that would also keep all my money in their hands, they swapped out the mother board and possibly the CPU rather than diagnosing the problem and telling me what it was. I'm just letting you know this, in case any of this has any bearing on what the problem could be or what you're thinking. But don't let TMI persuade you to think that my wi-fi problem is something it may not be.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back