Computer making odd noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai

Since last night my computer has been making this really weird sound. Kind of like a revving sound. I'm not sure what it is. I have an eMachines computer and this has never happened to me before. Anyone had this experience before and may know whats up with it?

On a side note: I saw the stickied topic about eMachines PSU's, and yes I think I need a new one. My computer crashes (often), and some mild things, and some people and forums have told me to get a new PSU, so anyone know a good PSU brand to get? I'll probably buy one from TrigerDirect or NewEgg, just need to know a good brand.

The PCs at the school do the revving thing but then stop 10 seconds later.

On the side note a good company PSU would be OCZ, Antec, Thermaltake, and Enermax. Those should do good. Make sure you get them from newegg.com. They are the best site to buy things from.

I don't think anything above 45-55 bucks for a ~500w supply is going to be necessary unless you're overclocking. Apevia and Rosewill are decent brands in that range, though stay away from Rosewill's cheaper models.

What are your specs, though? Its easier to determine what you need if its known what you already have.

Good rebate on this Antec though.

edit: on a side note, modular cabling is really handy.

foozy said:
I don't think anything above 45-55 bucks for a ~500w supply is going to be necessary unless you're overclocking. Apevia and Rosewill are decent brands in that range, though stay away from Rosewill's cheaper models. Powmax

What are your specs, though? Its easier to determine what you need if its known what you already have.

Good rebate on this Antec though.

edit: on a side note, modular cabling is really handy.

Thank you, and where my specs:

Yeah, I think a decent 400w would suit you just fine. Its an emachine so I wouldn't go for anything THAT fancy. Do you have a video card, though? Biggest mistake a lot of people make with power supplies is not getting a supply that has all the right connectors they need.

In your position I'd probably get something like this Coolmax, Rosewill, or Silverstone. I've never used Silverstone but that one looks alright.

For a PSU I would recomend this for that system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

I definately recomend replaceing the PSU because of problems with emachines PSUs. But that is not likely the cause of the noise. The sound is likely the cpu fan speeding up because of dust. Clean out the heatsinks with compressed air. You may also wnat to add a rear case fan (emachines have a rear fan port but usually don't include one), usually an 80mm.

foozy said:
Yeah, I think a decent 400w would suit you just fine. Its an emachine so I wouldn't go for anything THAT fancy. Do you have a video card, though? Biggest mistake a lot of people make with power supplies is not getting a supply that has all the right connectors they need.

In your position I'd probably get something like this Coolmax, Rosewill, or Silverstone. I've never used Silverstone but that one looks alright.

Thank you, I'll look at them all. And yeah I have a Graphics card. It's a GeForce 6600. Are those PSU's still fine for that?

dmill89 said:
For a PSU I would recomend this for that system: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

I definately recomend replaceing the PSU because of problems with emachines PSUs. But that is not likely the cause of the noise. The sound is likely the cpu fan speeding up because of dust. Clean out the heatsinks with compressed air. You may also wnat to add a rear case fan (emachines have a rear fan port but usually don't include one), usually an 80mm.

Thanks mate, I'll look at the one to. And your probably right, I probably need to clean the inside of the computer badly.

Me and my dad were looking over my computer to see if the power supply unit is going to work. Something he noticed was that on my PSU, the fan is facing out of the computer (pointing to the back where the plugins are). And with the PSU's you showed me, the fans are on the side, so will that effect the computer in any way? Because the fan will be facing the inside (facing down or facing up against the top wall) of the computer. So that's kind of confusing.

EDIT: Here a two pictures to show what I'm trying to say.

This is what I mean for the fan facing outside of the computer:

(The ones you showed me have the fan facing the inside of the computer).

And just if this helps at all..here is my PSU inside the computer.

It has no effect as the fan still blows out the back. It is mounted on the bottom simply to allow a larger and quieter fan to be mounted. The fan sucks air in from the botton and blows it out the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back