Computer not posting, Urgent Problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

me(who else?)

I'm sorry about the title, but I'm really worried. I was replacing the processor on a teacher's computer (from a 2200 to a 2600+ with a Barton core), but now the computer refuses to post. I dropped the FSB as low as possible, but it didn't help. The only thing I can think of is fact that when applying the heatsink to the socket, sometimes the screwdriver slips and hits the mobo (the layout is awful). If this is the problem, is there a way I can fix it. There's a couple little dents, but I'm hoping it won't cost me a new Mobo. Please help me!

Last time I "slipped" and hit the motherboard, it took some of the traces and the Mobo was toast. If the system is not too old, you might see if you can RMA the board. As far as repair, I had come up with ideas such as tape traces and what-not, but that is a lot more tricky than is worth while... If someone else has ideas for repair... I'm all ears, but a new motherboard will be much less hassle, even if more costly.
Bug

The thing is, that everybody who's removed that heatsink (including a professional) slippped, but it would still post. Does anybody know where I can get some of this tape? I'm toast if I don't , because a new mobo is 200$ +.

The tape would have been custom. Purchase some very thin wire, and use scotch tape. A steady hand and a bit of luck :(
If the traces happen to come off a post, you can try soldering thin wire directly to the posts as a bypass...

Which board is this? Just curious.
Bug

fixing mb

a friend did the same thing, broke a trace.. they do make repair kits...

you ever hear of Fry's electronics stores, owned by radio shack?

i saw a repair kit there...

dont know where your from go hear and see if one is near you..

http://www.frys.com/

I actually found out that the PSU was bad, it had killed the mobo and processor slowly. We needed a new processor, new mobo and new PSU.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back