Computer not seeing external hard drive or usb 4 port hub

By alexgray
Jan 14, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Both devices when plugged into USB port appear in "Device Manager" but not in "My Computer", why should this be?
  2. Peddant

Peddant Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,644

Try deleting/disabling them in device manager.Disconnect them from computer,shut down,reconnect both,then Start.Might solve problem.
  3. alexgray

alexgray Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I have uninstalled both devices in Device Manager, unplugged them and then replugged them into USB ports, but still not appearing in My Computer.
  4. Peddant

Yes,but did you shutdown first ?
  5. alexgray

Not sure if I understand what you mean by shutting down first? After uninstalling and unplugging the devices I restarted the PC and tried plugging the devices in again, but with the same result. As soon as I plug them in the both appear in Device Manager under Other Devices but not in My Computer.

When I plug them into my laptop they immediately appear in Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus controllers and the hard drive also appears in My Computer, likewise when I plug a memory stick into the 4 port usb hub it registers in My Computer as a removable disk (E).
  6. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

does your desktop and your laptop have the same file systm? ie; are both formatted NTFS or Fat32?

also is this 4 port hub an eternal hub? if it is have you tried plugging the external hard drive into the usb port on the rear of the computer?
  7. Peddant

Just to clarify-Delete devices from device manager,unplug devices from computer,switch off computer,plug in devices,start computer.
  8. alexgray

Yes, I have already done all that!
  9. Peddant

I s your HD, partitioned,formatted etc ?
  10. alexgray

Yes this is done by the manufacturer Medion
  11. IronDuke

IronDuke Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,267

Does it show up in 'Disk Management'? If so give it a drive letter.
  12. alexgray

No, there is no sign of it in Disk Management.
  13. alexgray

Is there no one out there with a answer to my problem?

Alex.

14. Peddant

15. alexgray

The last suggestion on the list you sent appears to be the answer, but a bit to technical for me to attempt. I would require detailed instructions on how to do this.
  16. loupegarou

loupegarou Newcomer, in training Posts: 47

xp or 2k

which os are you running and are you service packed up to the latest?

Does your mobo have usb2
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.