Computer not turning on sometimes

beerabuser30

Today I got to my computer and it was completely dead. So I switched out the power supply with another computer. The power supply didn't work in that one either so I just figured it was dead. I put it back in and now the computer works fine. Any idea on what would cause it to not work for a 12 hour span? Sometimes the computer will randomly turn off, but only in the middle of the night if I have accidentally left it on and only every once in awhile. What would cause this?

Maybe the PSU is dying. Nothing else would usually cause this. You could try replacing your motherboard battery, though I don't think that's the issue.

I think that is what it might be. I have everything hooked back up and it is working temporarily. The PSU is making a high pitched sound. I am assuming it is cashed? If so how long can I run it without it being totally dead? Since I am going to need a new one, I was wondering if anyone has the best, cheapest PSU. I am going to have to pawn something to get it so cheap is important.

If so how long can I run it without it being totally dead?
It's impossible to say but if you let it burn out on it's own, you risk taking out other components. I advise not using the PC until you replace the PSU. It's also inadvisable to recommend a PSU for your system without knowing a thing about it.

I just have a simple desktop, it isn't used for gaming or anything to intense.
nvidia 9600gt
4gb ram
asus board (can't remember exact model)
amd phenom 8450 triple core
1 internal 200gb
1 internal sata 200gb
1 external 500gb

Sometimes when PSU's are dying they go at times, and dont go other times. Once upon a time mine broke down, and It would log into windows and after about 5 mins it would turn off. then not go for a few hours, then work again.

BTW, letting it do that is NOT good for your hardware!

Back