Computer not turning on sometimes

By beerabuser30
Jan 26, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Today I got to my computer and it was completely dead. So I switched out the power supply with another computer. The power supply didn't work in that one either so I just figured it was dead. I put it back in and now the computer works fine. Any idea on what would cause it to not work for a 12 hour span? Sometimes the computer will randomly turn off, but only in the middle of the night if I have accidentally left it on and only every once in awhile. What would cause this?
  2. Ritwik7

Ritwik7 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,672   +9

Maybe the PSU is dying. Nothing else would usually cause this. You could try replacing your motherboard battery, though I don't think that's the issue.
  3. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 200

I think that is what it might be. I have everything hooked back up and it is working temporarily. The PSU is making a high pitched sound. I am assuming it is cashed? If so how long can I run it without it being totally dead? Since I am going to need a new one, I was wondering if anyone has the best, cheapest PSU. I am going to have to pawn something to get it so cheap is important.
  4. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

It's impossible to say but if you let it burn out on it's own, you risk taking out other components. I advise not using the PC until you replace the PSU. It's also inadvisable to recommend a PSU for your system without knowing a thing about it.
  5. beerabuser30

beerabuser30 TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 200

I just have a simple desktop, it isn't used for gaming or anything to intense.
    nvidia 9600gt
    4gb ram
    asus board (can't remember exact model)
    amd phenom 8450 triple core
    1 internal 200gb
    1 internal sata 200gb
    1 external 500gb
  6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

That doesn't change my advice but you may do as you please.

This PSU should work for you: Corsair Builder Series CX430
  7. kronix

kronix TS Rookie

Sometimes when PSU's are dying they go at times, and dont go other times. Once upon a time mine broke down, and It would log into windows and after about 5 mins it would turn off. then not go for a few hours, then work again.

BTW, letting it do that is NOT good for your hardware!