Computer Not Turning On When Pressing Switch

Pedro N

Hey guys...
I got a computer that won't turn on anymore when pressing the switch. The small light at the bottom of the motherboard indicates that it indeed gets electricity, at least until the light

A few things I've tried already:
- Another Power Outlet
- New Power Supply
- New Switch
- Unplugged the switch from the motherboard and touched both pins with a paper clip

After trying all that, I was completely on the end...
Is there anybody that can help me with what to do next?

Try disconnecting everything from the motherboard. Then try booting with only CPU and one RAM module. See if it acts differently, and if so put the additional components back one at a time while checking to see if the system still boots.

If the system doesn't try booting with all peripherals disconnected, the Motherboard or CPU may be damaged.

Hypothesis: dead motherboard. Problem is we do not know what may have killed (or is shorting) the motherboard.

Any thunderstorms? Surge protector?

Is there a system speaker - if so are there beep codes?

Does the LED on the motherboard follow a pattern (5 fast flashes, etc)? Check manufacturer for code.

Then I would probably remove everything and rebuild on the bench after making sure no little bits of metal have landed in a memory slot

If your power is from a 'good' manufacturer, you might test your power supply on another computer - be careful as it might have been the PSU which killed your MB.

Try disconnecting everything from the motherboard. Then try booting with only CPU and one RAM module. See if it acts differently, and if so put the additional components back one at a time while checking to see if the system still boots.

If the system doesn't try booting with all peripherals disconnected, the Motherboard or CPU may be damaged.

I disconnected everything from the motherboard, no changes... Since only one RAM slot is in use, I inserted it in another slot and still no change

Hypothesis: dead motherboard. Problem is we do not know what may have killed (or is shorting) the motherboard.

Any thunderstorms? Surge protector?

Is there a system speaker - if so are there beep codes?

Does the LED on the motherboard follow a pattern (5 fast flashes, etc)? Check manufacturer for code.

Then I would probably remove everything and rebuild on the bench after making sure no little bits of metal have landed in a memory slot

If your power is from a 'good' manufacturer, you might test your power supply on another computer - be careful as it might have been the PSU which killed your MB.

No thunderstorms... Surge protector present...
The motherboard has a speaker, but pressing the switch nothing happens, no beep on the speaker, no fan starts turning, nothing.

The LED on the motherboard is on, no flashes just on.

I tried the old and the new power supply on another computer, and everything works like a charm on another computer.

I disconnected everything from the motherboard, no changes... Since only one RAM slot is in use, I inserted it in another slot and still no change
Does it not post without the RAM module inserted? You should at least get a BIOS post on screen without the module.

I wouldn't know how to check for faults in a motherboard. As for the next board getting damaged the same way, that is unlikely unless it is a common problem with that specific motherboard.

With no codes, I would take a magnifying glass to it - look for little brown burn spots around the various chips and for misshapen capacitors. Likely, something basic burned out.

As to new board, you could go cheap - and buy 2 year old tech for $40-60. You could try to re-use CPU or not. Ebay can have some super bargains..

With no codes, I would take a magnifying glass to it - look for little brown burn spots around the various chips and for misshapen capacitors. Likely, something basic burned out.

As to new board, you could go cheap - and buy 2 year old tech for $40-60. You could try to re-use CPU or not. Ebay can have some super bargains..

Thanks... But anyhow if I would find those brown spots I would have to buy a new one...

About the ebay thing... I'm Mexican, and somehow here in Mexico that stuff is not that easy!!
Sucks to be me, I know!! Haha

Thanks... But anyhow if I would find those brown spots I would have to buy a new one...

About the ebay thing... I'm Mexican, and somehow here in Mexico that stuff is not that easy!!
Sucks to be me, I know!! Haha

Sometimes a soldering iron and another broken motherboard...

Anyway, look for ebay vendors who participate in Global Shipping...
http://announcements.ebay.com/2013/...exico-new-zealand-israel-and-the-philippines/

and ship to your daytime location.

Mexico
Paugito <---- This is a Fry's / Tiger Direct type store but they do sell PC parts
PC Domino
PC Mexico
Digital Life
Dimercom Mexico <--- sells lots of gaming specific and overclocking components
PC Digital
PC Experts
Tunueva PC

Last edited:
Back