Computer Problem. Need Help.

By shoit21
Oct 25, 2007
  1. Hello all,

I am new to the forums so I hope this post is in the right spot.

I built a computer two summers ago with pretty nice hardware, which should be available for you to see in my profile.

Recently it just crashed on me (completely locked up)while I was playing World of Warcraft. I hard-restarted and got stuck at the windows loading screen (several attempts to this end).

I then reformatted and re-installed windows xp. I am on the desktop now, but it keeps freezing on me. Every time I come back to my computer after the screensaver has been up, it locks up completely. Also if it is idle for a period of time such as 30mins or so, it does the same thing.

I have re-installed World of Warcraft, and have been trying to download a patch from their website (475Mb). Internet Explorer keeps freezing my computer (the downoad box turns white and I can not click anything or open the task manager or anything).

Does anyone have an idea of what these symptoms might mean? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,026

you need to do a whole load of tests to find out what is going on here.
    Start with these two:
    1. go to - search for and download everest and check your temperatures and PSU voltages.
    If your temps are high or fans are running slow - clean out the box of dust bunnies and clear the heatsink.
    If your volts are off target - replace the PSU
    2.find and go to the website of your HDD maker - download their diagnostic software and run the big test - if it fails it is your hard drive.
  3. shoit21

shoit21 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you for the timely and informative response. I am running those tests now. I also noticed something else I think is worth mentioning:

There is a green light and an orange light by my power button on my tower. I just noticed that in addition to the green light being on, the organge light is also on. I have never seen that on before - I assume that means something is not working properly inside?

4. boykov

boykov TS Enthusiast Posts: 73

The second light means theat your HDD is being used (as in this case you are testing ...)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.