TechSpot

Computer randomly turning off (but is still on?)

By Boozled
Dec 15, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hello this is my first time here and I've no idea what's wrong, so here's my problem:

When I am playing a game (can be any game, or just browsing the internet) sometimes my computer will "turn off" for no reason.
    What happens is it stops sending a signal to the monitor and all my applications stop working (music stops, skype stops) but the lights, fans and everything keep going.

After it does this I have to hold down my power button to turn it off and restart it.. It's really annoying and I do not know what is wrong with my PC. I got told it was my gfx drivers but I reinstalled them and a few days later it turned off again

Computer specs:
    Mother/Mainboard: ASUStek P7H55-M/USB3
    CPU: Intel core i3 550 @ 3.20 GHz
    RAM: 1x2048MB DDR3
    Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
  2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,805   +158

Try replacing the power supply first
  3. Boozled

Boozled TS Rookie Topic Starter

Well usually it only happens when im playing one game (Counter-Strike:Source)

I can play any other game now (it only happens for that game now) on high/ultra.
  4. Tmagic650

So when you lower the video settings that game plays fine? If so, you may need a better video card
  5. Boozled

What do you mean? If I lower the settings of CS:S?

I can ply other games on the best settings so why would lowering CS:S settings make the problem go away ?

Or am I reading what you said wrong
  6. Tmagic650

If you lower the settings of CS will it play properly? The 9600 is getting old. I ran one until about 2 months ago, then I upgraded to a GeForce 550TI. Have you tried updating the video cards drivers from here:
    http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
  7. Boozled

Yeah I have reinstalled the video card drivers alltogether three times and reinstalled/updated them and I still only get the problem with CS:S.

I will try lowering the settings but I don't think that will do much as the game is 6 years old but it might work, will post back with results.
  8. Boozled

Still turns off only for CS:S :(

Really want to know why.
  9. cheeryabc

cheeryabc TS Member Posts: 26

Try this way :
    Create shotcut for game laucher program "cstrike.exe" on your desktop->right click icon ->select properties ->find the target location
    add "-width 800 -height 600 " at the end of location.
    this way to fixed your game resolution at 800 x 600

eg:
    "E:\Games\CS\cstrike.exe"
    "E:\Games\CS\cstrike.exe" -width 800 -height 600

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.