Computer randonmly resarts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwenborn

Hi,

I've had this problem for quite a while now I wouldn't say its getting worse but it think it's about time I sort it out. While I am using my computer sometimes for no apparent reason it will just resort it does not always happen but if does it's usually after the first hour. It always seems to happen while I am using internet explorer but I can't say this is the cause because I'm on the internet all the time. After the computer has restarted it says "windows has recovered for a serious error" and gives you the option to send an error report.

This is the link it takes me to.
http://wer.microsoft.com/responses/....2.0?SGD=51300926-4125-4fae-819c-65756687f09e

The problem is that I don't think this is the case as I have not installed any new hardware and when the computer restarts I never get a blue screen with a message.

I would really appreciate any help as I have no idea what it is. I am running xp and the computer is relatively new only purchased on Boxing Day.

Thanks in advance for any help,

cwenborn

Usual causes: inadequate amount of memory, or defective memory module. Try running the free MemTest86 for four hours. That will rule out memory failures. But if you are running Windows XP, you need 512 MB to run well... more is better.
Inadequate, or slow memory modules are the number one cause. Bad video graphics card or driver is the number two cause.
If your memory modules are mixed, the system will run at the speed of the slowest module.
Bad or failing hard drive: run the drive fitness tests from the website of your hard drive manufacturer. Only Toshiba does not have such a test.
Failing CPU fan. If the computer is two years old, replace.
Dried up or inadequate thermal paste between the cpu and heat sink. Clean and replace.
Dirty heat sink, fan blades, etc. Blow out dust and hair with a can of dust off or other difluoroethane gas.
Any failing PCI card will cause it... modem, ethernet, sound, usb card... and their problems are difficult to detect.
Infestation of Windows by malware. Run three different online scanners to get detection. Some good ones are free.
Bad or ancient driver for video graphics card.
Not all Microsoft updates are installed, and those installed are messing with older drivers and components. Some updates cause your computer to need new BIOS, Chipset, or other drivers installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back