Computer reboot, driver and corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

afaust

Hi,

I've got a strange problem that I can't figure out, which is why I joined, to see if I can find an answer. My computer has been rebooting for a while, and I can't figure out what is causing the reboot. When it reboots, if I send the error report, it has been coming back with "a driver is causing the error".... of course, no mention of the driver... I've been switching drivers, waiting, trying other drivers etc with no change. I did a cleanup of temporary files, unused software, defragmentation, registry cleanup and something changed.... now it reboots (and it'll do it continually while trying to archive a large file, although at different time frames, ie 10 sec in, 30 sec in, etc...) and also, when it reboots, the error report reports a "corrupt" error (rather than a driver error this time). My PC info is in my profile, and I can collect any other info necessary (I have the latest minidump, can run any other necessary software requested hijack this, whatever). Any help would be appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Allan

Have you checked Event Viewer? Yellow exclamation marks and Red Xs are what you need to look for.

Does the minidump/BSODs give you BCC codes like 0x000050, etc.? If so, what are they or you can post your minidumps.

Hi, thanx for your response..... event viewer?? (Guess I haven't seen that... lmk how...). As for the last minidmp, here it is;

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

If you have more minidumps attach them. Even though your dump text told us the error code unfortunately the analysis was inconclusive. More minidumps may help -- if you have them.

You can attach them on your next post.

And here is the most recent one. I suspected that it could be RAM since I added a couple of GB to the 512K I had, as well as a Radeon AGP card, so I removed the 2 1GB and left my original 512K in... still rebooted, gave me a RAM error this time, but when I used the microsoft boot cd for ram testing, all tests (including extended) passed.....

sis7012.sys was cited several times. This is a SIS audio driver. Do you have onboard audio? If so update the latest drivers from your motherboard's website.

Let us know if this rectifies the crash problem.

xnacc.sys was also cited which ia a Vista common controller driver.

I'll try the update on the audio driver, and I don't know what a Vista driver is doing there, since I try and get everything for XP (not running vista on this computer). Thanx... I'll post news as soon as I have some.

Allan

I don't know where I picked that up.... is there a way I can pinpoint what its driving? I can't find it.... (and I wasn't thinking you were wrong, more of me not understanding how it got there...)

Allan

Ok, as I mentioned earlier, I wonder if it may be my RAM causing the problem (although I can't confirm if the problems started after the ram addition or after a large windows update, because they happened about the same time). The reason why is I returned to my original 512K and it seemed stable. I popped in the 2 1GB ram chips alongside the 512K and after some fiddling around... boom, a couple of reboots.... the dumps are attached....one seems to be a RAM error, the other a USB error.... I'm definitely learning with this, but trying to pinpoint this isn't easy.

Allan

The other thing I'm wondering, since it dumped again this morning, and again seems to be different... if it could be a power supply problem. As I mentioned earlier, I added the RAM and a Radeon AGP Card (that takes up 2 power cables)... I'm just wondering if that may have an effect (I'm trying to check all possibilities). New dump attached.

Allan

An 0x44 issue is usually caused by hardware. Since you suspect RAM I suggest running MemTest on every stick you have. By the way, what make is your motherboard and what RAM are you using?

The motherboard is an Asrock P4S61 and the ram I've added in is Low Density PC 3200 400 MHz FSB DDR. As for the RAM test, as I believe I mentioned earlier,I downloaded the microsoft bootable ram test and everything came up clean.... I'll run it again, or if you have any other suggestions..... I'll run that.....

Try www.memtest.org Make sure that whether you choose floppy disk or CD that the drive is first bootable in your BIOS. Run for a minimum of 7 passes.

Asrock mobos are manufactured by Asus and Asus is known to be picky about the RAM used. Check to see if your particular brand is recommended by your particular motherboard.

My 512K is an Apacer, and it passed just fine. The 2 1 Gb chips failed on pass 1 (a lot) and pass 7 for the second one). Its warranteed, and I've already got the RMA to send em back.
Hopefully that will be the end of that problem.... Thanx for the help....

Allan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back